Chapter 18

The air was stale and in that silence, I could hear another patient screaming in agony from upper floors. It sent a shiver down my spin. It reminded me of when I was in the hospital the first time I had failed. Thrashing and failing my arms and legs around while the nurses tried to calm me down. I screamed and refused to cooperate so they sedated me in the end. I had yelled at anyone who entered into my ward and it took me time to calm down and accept the fact that I was still alive. I took it pretty hard and I wouldn't speak or eat for days.

The doctors thought that I was unstable so they kept me in the ward for days, saying that I needed treatment. From my experience, the trick that I had learned to get out of the hospital as soon as possible was to stay calm and lie to everyone about being fine.

There was a lump in my throat and I had a hard time finding the words to say. I adverted his gaze as his stare bored into my head. He looked horrendous. There were bags under his eye bags and his skin was of a sickly pale color that was far from healthy. If I hadn't known, I would've thought that he was supposed to be in the intensive care ward. He looked like he hadn't eaten or slept in days and coffee was the only thing to keep his engines running.

My heart sank. I caused it. He wouldn't have been in that position if it weren't for me. He would've been back home in Orlando with his wife and his son, playing a game of Monopoly and sipping hot chocolate by the fire. But instead, he was in the hospital, looking like a corpse and worrying about his niece.

Before any of us could utter another word, the door opened and they came. ThUncle Charlie excused himself and left the room. I wanted him to stay but I just remained silent. The way he walked and the way he hung his head was too painful to watch. The joy was sucked out from him and he would never be the same again.

" How are you feeling today, Mia?" Dr Martin asked. I rolled my eyes and refused to answer his rhetorical question.

" Since you're not speaking, we'll get on with our announcement." Ian said, breaking the tension. " I will no longer be your therapist because of certain issues and I'm so sorry that I couldn't help you, Mia. It truly hurts to see you this way. But I've found a new one to replace me and I'm positive she's much better than I am." He gestured towards the lady. He sounded too practical and business-like. I wondered if he ever cared about any of his patients.

" Hi, Mia. I'm Brenda and I'll be your new therapist. We have a lot to work on and we'll start as soon as possible, alright?" She gave a faint smile. Every part of her screamed sophisticated, starting with her branded handbag to her tight French bun.

" Okay, bye." I dismissed. They were the last people I wanted to talk to. Ian and Brenda left the room, promising that they'd be back later to check on me while Dr Martin stayed.

" I said 'bye'." I gave him a glare. I wasn't in the mood and my patience was running out. It annoyed me that Ian had been so nonchalant about what was going on, as if seeing one of his patients lying in the hospital was an everyday thing.

" I'm not going anywhere until you explain." He said sternly.

" I'm not up for it. And I don't remember anything." I snorted.

He sighed in defeat when he realized that I wasn't going to talk to him any sooner even though he tried his best to strike up a conversation with me and left the room saying that he'd be back the next day to clear things up with my uncle and I. My body tensed up, knowing that I'd have to face the consequences no matter what happened. Again.

Night came quicker and after refusing to eat my dinner and throwing quite a fit, the nurses attached me to the drip. I made a fuss and threatened anyone who came in during the night so the nurses and doctors left me alone.