XXVII

Gini was packing her bags for the weekend with Juwon when the kids walked into the bedroom.

"Again?" they asked in unison when they realized she was leaving.

"Come here."

They rushed to her side and they all fell into bed giggling.

"Must you leave so soon, Gini?" Kenny asked as he rested his head on her arm.

"Just for two days. I told you guys I have a boyfriend now."

Idowu raised his head from where it was resting on her chest and frowned. "Wasn't Bruce your boyfriend too?"

"Yea, you used to go to his place at night. Were you guys just friends?" Taye asked.

"We weren't dating, just friends and how did you know I used to go to his place at night?"

"Kenny told me," Taye said.

"Idowu told me," Kenny replied.

"And Taye told me," Idowu said.

"Okay! Somehow, you all found out and I'm not mad at that."

"I told you!" Taye jabbed his other brother.

"Cut it out, boys," Gini said to put a stop to the fight that could potentially break out.

"Who's the lucky guy, anyway?" Kenny asked like an adult.

She smiled before replying. "He's lucky, yea."

The boys laughed.

"Are we ever going to meet him? Does he know you have kids? Did you tell him about us?" Taye asked accusingly.

"You did, right?" Kenny asked with hope in his voice.

The boys sat up and pulled her into a sitting position. Gini stared at them as they waited for her answer.

"She didn't, that's why she's not talking," Idowu informed his brothers.

They looked at her in disbelief and she quickly stopped them before they could start. "Guys, hold on. The relationship is still new but I'll tell him about you, I promise."

"Shouldn't you have told him from the onset?" Taye asked.

"You're right, I should have. This is just different." The boys looked at her like she was lying. They didn't know the boyfriend was actually their biological father and she couldn't tell them just yet without letting Juwon know about it first.

"With all due respect, Gini, I think you're lying," Kenny said bluntly.

"I'm not." She looked at Idowu for support but he looked like he wasn't buying her excuse either.

"Just promise us you'll tell him this weekend," Taye demanded.

"I was going to tell him this weekend anyway and it's not because you guys asked. It's just time to introduce him to the boys in my life."

"Men," Taye corrected.

Gini rolled her eyes. "You're only ten."

"How do we know if this guy deserves you?" Idowu asked what he deemed more important.

"He does."

"You think?"

Gini nodded and the boys hugged her. They attacked her luggage next and started throwing out the clothes she'd taken her time arranging.

"What the heck are you guys doing?"

"Gini, I can't believe you're taking these old leggings." Kenny held a pair of brown leggings and gave her a disappointing look.

"You boys know I don't have that many clothes."

"Doesn't mean you have to take these."

Taye and Idowu sat beside her and watched their brother find her better looking clothes for the weekend.

Taye touched her cropped her and said, "I think you should grow your hair out, Gini."

"Or wear one of Mama's wigs." Idowu stood and got the golden brown, extra long wig sitting on a mannequin head on Mama's vanity.

"I don't want it." Gini looked over at Kenny and saw him cutting one of her large tees with a pair of scissors. "Kenny, you're destroying my shirt," she shouted.

"No, I'm making it into a crop top."

Gini sighed and smiled when she saw Idowu wearing the wig. "You look pretty but silly."

"Pretty silly!" Taye said and started running after his brother.

Kenny looked at the pair and Gini could see he wanted to join in the chase.

"Out of my room, boys. Thanks for the intervention I never asked for."

Kenny dropped her newly transformed tee and ran after his brothers. Gini closed her door slightly after they ran out of the room. She hoped to God they didn't ruin her sister's wig. She shut the luggage and waited for Mama who had slept over at a friend's place. They had both gone back to work after she came back from town and Mama had taken a day off from everything to go have fun with some friends.

Gini was excited to be with Juwon again. She hadn't seen him in about two weeks but they had kept in touch through texts and video calls. She knew he was back in the city and had been here all week attending dinners and meetings with his clients. She left the room when she heard the sound of an object breaking. Her boys were still running around with Idowu swinging the wig as he ran. She watched them until they stopped long enough to notice her.

"What did you break?"

"Nothing," Kenny said.

"I heard something break."

"Nothing Gini, Taye just collided into something in the kitchen."

Gini took it easy on them and just nodded. They went to their room and she went to the kitchen to make sure there was no broken glass on the floor. She returned to the living room after getting reassured by the sight that met her eyes. Mama came in as she was about to get comfortable on the sofa. She was in a short, sparkly gown and was smiling so hard.

"Must have had a great time."

"Sure did. Am I delaying you?" She sat beside Gini and tossed her purse on the other sofa.

"Nah. How was your time with your friends?"

"Fun, fun, fun."

"Why are you laughing so hard? Did anything happen?"

"Nothing happened."

Gini gave her sister a suspicious look. "Spill, Mama."

"Lips are sealed. We had fun, that's it."

"Whatever you say. On the other hand, you think it's okay keeping secrets from me."

"There's no secret. I had fun yesterday and crashed at my friend's place."

"Did anything happen at this friend's place?" Gini air quoted 'Friend's'.

"No, silly, I just did something crazy. Apparently, I was drunk and started stripping at the bar we were at last night."

"What?" Gini screamed.

Mama shrugged and grinned. "My friends recorded the whole thing. They promised to play it on my birthday."

"I want to see it."

Mama laughed and jumped on the other sofa, she stretched and folded her hands. "Go see your boyfriend."

"Will you send the video to me?"

"For sure. Don't show Juwon."

"Never."

"I'll get you a taxi. Where are those rascals? Kenny!" she shouted.

Kenny came out of the boys' room and immediately said, "Gini, change the shirt."

Gini looked over to her sister who shrugged. "I didn't want to be the one to say it but you can wear something other than leggings and tank tops."

"But, I'm a dancer."

"So am I and you don't see me wearing only those."

"Okay."

Gini went to her bedroom and changed into the shirt her son had transformed into a crop top. She found a pair of yellow leggings to go with it and exchanged the sandals she had on for a pair of Toms. She carried her small luggage along with her handbag and left the bedroom. The boys were all in the living room waiting to say goodbye and Gini started tearing up.

"It's only two days," she consoled herself.

Taye came over and got the bags she was holding, he passed it to Kenny then hugged her.

"I love you, besty," he said adoringly. 

"I love you too, besty."

She kissed his face before hugging her other sons.

"At least, we can watch TV without Gini yelling about reading books," Kenny joked.

The boys laughed and her sister said, "You wish."

"Ooohhh, Mama stop it. Gini, tell her to allow us watch TV."

Gini smiled and winked at her sister. Kenny sighed and went to the kitchen.

"Kenny, you can watch the TV," she screamed. "Jesus Christ! He does get angry so easily."

Taye went to the kitchen to drag a sulking Kenny out. They whispered in each other's ears for a while before she got another hug from the pair.

"The taxi is here. Who is going to help Gini with her bags?" Mama asked.

The boys rushed for her bags and Gini hugged her sister before following them out. They were waiting by the cab when she got outside the house. She got some change from her bag and squeezed the notes into her sons' hands. She knew they were going to buy sweets in abundance but it would also make them happy for a while. They hugged her fiercely as she was about to get in. Gini waved hard as the taxi drove off.