XXIX

Gini held on to Juwon as they alighted from the limo. He took her hand and walked with her into the hotel. They stopped at the reception and got a key. Gini leaned into her boyfriend as they rode the elevator. A message entered her phone and she laughed as she watched the video from Mama.

"She's utterly ridiculous," she said and passed the device to Juwon.

"What is she doing?" Juwon asked as he watched her sister take off her top.

"She lost it."

He laughed when he saw her split on the dance floor. Gini took her phone when they were done laughing at Mama and her theatrics. The elevator pinged and they walked into an open space with dim lighting. Apparently, they were on the rooftop. Gini paused to adjust her eyes to the semi darkness and the wind blew her gown.

Juwon took her hand and led her to a corner with a table and lit candles. She saw petals of roses around the setting and that made her feel mushy for some reason.

"Thank you," she said when he pulled out the chair for her to sit.

Juwon took his seat and poured them a glass of wine. "Do you like this?"

"Love it. It's so sweet of you to pull something like this."

"It's all for you." He winked then continued, "I brought my violin along."

"What?" Gini asked in shock. She knew he used to play all kinds of musical instruments back then but she didn't expect him to bring one on their date. "Do you plan on serenading me?"

Juwon smiled shyly. "If you want."

"Of course, I want. Is that even a question?"

Gini laughed as he stood from the table and a server wearing all black passed him the violin. Juwon started by playing a common tune then finished it off with something she'd never heard. She clapped when he passed the instrument back to the server.

"Literally perfect. You're spoiling me."

Gini got to her feet and Juwon got into a dance position. "Wanna dance without music?"

She nodded and placed her hands on his shoulder. "I once taught you salsa, let's see if you still remember the lessons."

"Those steps are more difficult than maths."

"You're a natural, there's nothing to worry about."

Juwon messed up a bit as they dance but he didn't once step on her feet. She gave him a kiss on the nose when the dance ended.

"I'm starving," he said as he sat back in his chair.

"So am I."

A chef joined them and shook hands with Juwon, Gini smiled when she was introduced. Trays of food were brought in and plates were cleared several minutes later. Gini was on her third glass of wine and was smiling nonstop.

Juwon reached for her hand across the table. "Great night."

"Yea. Are you okay?" He'd been a little bit different all night. She couldn't put her hands on what was wrong but she knew something was off.

"No."

"What's the matter? Are you breaking up with me?"

He bit his lips and looked away. Gini snatched her hand away from him and held them together under the table.

"Not breaking up with you."

She sighed in relief. "What then is wrong?"

"I don't know if you'd say yes if I was to propose to you right now."

"Of course I'd say yes."

Gini frowned as Juwon placed a tiny box on the table. She looked at his face and back at the box as he opened it with trembling hands.

"Are you trying to propose to me?" Gini asked.

Juwon's face broke into a smile and he nodded. "I guess I am. Birdie, I love you."

"Yes," she breathed out. This was her dream, and she didin't care that they had only been reconnected for few weeks. She knew all there was to know about him and she grinned in shock as Juwon watched her.

"I haven't asked yet. I need to get this right." He got down on one knee with the box in his hands and asked, "Will you marry me, birdie?"

"Yes!" Gini said then laughed at the conviction in her voice. She helped Juwon up and steadied his hands when they shook as he was about to take the ring from the box. "Take a deep breath, baby."

"I was scared shitless."

"I love you and I want to be your wife. We can literally get married this night. "

"That's too fast."

"It has always been fast between us, it's not going to change now."

Juwon sat her on his lap after taking his seat. He got the ring on her finger eventually and Gini held her hand up to inspect the sparkling piece of jewelry.

"It's gorgeous," she said as she kept staring at the large stone.

"Not as pretty as you thought."

"My husband is super corny."

Juwon laughed and kissed her. She hugged him and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Do you seriously want to get married this night?"

"Sure. We don't need anyone, your friends don't like me, your assistant could barely stand me and we have no parents."

Juwon grimaced when she mentioned his friends. "What about your sister?"

"She wouldn't mind." Gini knew Mama was going to convince her not to go ahead with it anyway and that wasn't what she wanted to hear.

"I could arrange a wedding if that's what you want."

"Don't you want it?" She didn't know if it was the wine talking but she knew she was going to marry him if he wanted to this minute.

"More than you can ever imagine."

"Arrange it then."

Juwon stood and went to a corner while Gini sat back in her chair and sipped more wine. He got back and took off his blazer then placed it on her bare shoulder.

"I didn't have this in mind when I picked this white dress."

"It's obvious that it is meant to be."

She leaned into him as they went to the elevator and rode it to another floor.

"I booked us a suite," Juwon said as they walked through the hallway of the fourth floor.

"Nice."

"We'll be getting married in few minutes so I need you to freshen up."

"How did you pull it off so quickly?"

"Let's just say I know a guy that can get the impossible done in minutes."

"You sound rich."

Juwon laughed then used the key card. The door opened and she dropped his blazer on the chair on her way to the bedroom. Juwon poked his head in as she was loosening the strap of her shoes.

"I need to get some things for the ceremony."

"I could come with you."

"No, just freshen up and be ready by the time I'm back. I love you."

"I love you too." She blew him a kiss before falling into bed.

Gini held her left hand above her head and looked at her ring. Her life had been such a roller coaster the past ten years and she was glad everything was coming into fusion. Juwon was going to be her husband, her kids were going to know their father and finally be able to call him daddy.

She was tempted to share her joy with Mama but she knew she was only going to get discouraged. Gini got her phone anyway and called her sister. They talked about the boys and she told her that the evening was going well when she asked. By the time Juwon walked in an hour later, Gini had dusted her face with powder, straightened her dress and worn back her high heels.

"You ready?"

"Yea."

"No second thought?"

"None whatsoever."

"Perfect. We're going to a church."

"Is my dress appropriate?"

"I got you a shawl."

"Thanks, J."

Juwon passed her a bag and she took the white shawl that was folded inside. She wrapped it around her shoulder before they left the room. The limo was back when they got outside the hotel. Gini looked at the church when the limo stopped. Juwon helped her out of the car and a priest met them on their way in.

"This way," the priest said in an Igbo accent and went ahead of them in his black, long robe. "We have a councillor on stand by if you don't mind."

"That won't be necessary," Juwon said after Gini looked at him and shook her head.

Gini and Juwon were asked to sign in a large book and she wrote her name, signed then passed it to Juwon. A woman who had on white veil and dress passed her a bouquet of colourful flowers. Gini smiled and thanked her. She sniffed the pretty bouquet and clutched the stem tightly.

When the ceremony started, Gini stared at her husband to be and couldn't stop smiling. Most of the words the priest was saying flew over her head but she heard him well when he asked if she wanted him as her husband. She said yes and kept smiling as the ceremony continued.

When it was time to exchange rings, Juwon laughed loudly as he realized her ring was still on her finger. The priest laughed with him and she quickly pulled the ring off so Juwon could slide it down her finger again. He passed her his ring when it was her turn and she wondered where he'd gotten one so fast, but Gini smiled as she placed the ring on his ring finger. They shared a quick kiss and walked out of the church as the priest and nun waved.

"That was fast. We probably broke a record somewhere."

"Right? Did I tell you I have the certificate already?"

"No way."

"Yes way."

"this guy you know must be really good."

"It'll be in your possession by the way."

"Alright."