I

Present Day

Gini was getting ready to get to work after shooing three belligerent boys into their school bus when her phone rang. She checked the caller I.D. and stared at the unusual number on her screen. When she answered, a man spoke and introduced himself as her father's lawyer. A chill ran down her spine at the mention her father's name. She'd ran away from home ten years ago and had never gotten a call from anyone linked to her past. Why now? The question plagued her...

"Are you still there?" the voice on the other end interrupted her thoughts.

"Yes. What were you saying?"

"Your father passed away two weeks ago."

"What?" The revelation shocked her to the marrow. Her father was one of those people you just knew would live a full life.

"He had a heart attack and no one was around to take him to the hospital. By the time the house keeper got to the house few hours later, he was gone." He sighed. "I know how sudden this is but you have to come home immediately for certain arrangements to be made."

Gini couldn't rationalize her emotions yet. She'd been shocked by the news then relieved, then she'd felt guilty for being relieved. So many emotions were coursing through her mind. She decided to focus on the lawyer.

"What arrangements?" she asked the most obvious questions.

"We can't talk about it on phone. I'll need you to come into town."

"When?" Gini checked her wrist and saw she was running behind. The manager at the retail store she worked at was going to be furious.

"How about tomorrow? I've made funeral arrangements and he'll be laid to rest in the evening."

"I'll try to get there on time."

"That's fine. Do you have your sister's phone number? It took me several weeks to get yours, can you save me some manpower by sending hers?"

"There won't be any need for that, I'll tell her myself."

"That'll work. See you both tomorrow."

"Bye."

Gini sank into the kid's mattress and stared at the blue wall. Going back to her home town was already giving her massive anxiety. Since she ran away from home, she hadn't kept in touch with anyone from her past. Her sister had warned her repeatedly not to and she'd obliged since she never wanted to be found by their father.

He was dead now. They were safe from his wrath. They had moved twice in ten years and finally stopped looking over their shoulders five years ago. She and her sister had agreed that if he wanted to find them, he would already have. He probably didn't care as much as they thought he did.

Gini got up from the bed and went to the other room in the two-bedroom apartment she shared with her sibling. Her sister who had been fondly called Mama by their mother because she looked exactly like her was sleeping in there. She worked at night as an exotic dancer or stripper as most people were used to calling her and slept during the day.

Gini sat on the bed and gently touched her. "Mama," she called and watched as she turned and shifted to find a more comfortable position.

Gini felt terrible waking her up. She'd helped with the kids when she got back from the strip club and had fallen into bed in exhaustion. Usually, no one disturbed her when she slept. It was one of the few ground rules of the house but today wasn't like any other day.

"Mama, wake up." She shook her hard and watched as her sister's expression turned sour by the disturbance. "Mama?"

"Gini, I'll deck you if you keep disturbing me," she warned and opened her eyes. "What's your problem?"

"Dad is dead."

Mama stared for a long time as the news hit her then she got up from the bed.

"I'll make you tea, come to the kitchen."

"I'll join you soon," Mama said and rubbed her face.

Gini left the room and got water boiling as she got to the kitchen. She made black tea then added two spoons of sugar and a drop of milk into it. She carried the murky liquid to the living room and avoided placing it on the center table with its broken leg. She needed to get it fixed before the boys broke another leg.

Gini held the mug and allowed the warmth spread through her palm. When Mama came in garbed in a long, flowing robe, she passed the tea to her.

"Thanks. Tell me what happened," she requested as they both sat.

"I got a call from his lawyer and he told me that he's dead."

"But it could be a lie. What if this is the way he gets you back into town?"

"He wouldn't do that. I think he's truly dead."

"Because his lawyer said it?"

"Yes. He wants us to come in tomorrow for the funeral and some other things."

"I'm not going."

"Mama, your dad just died," she emphasized for her stubborn sister.

"I don't believe it."

"He died from a heart attack."

Mama gave a cynical laugh then sipped her tea. "That man is as healthy as a horse. I'm telling you this is a set-up."

"It's been ten years. Think about it, he could have done this when I ran away initially but he didn't," she reasoned.

"You're so easily fooled. I'm not going, period!" Mama said and sipped her tea.

"I am. Will you watch the triplets while I'm away?"

"Of course, what kind of question is that?"

"Thanks." Gini stood and walked towards her sons' bedroom.

"Gini?"

She turned back and saw her sister placing the mug on the floor and walking towards her. "Are you okay?" she asked as Mama embraced her.

"I just don't want him to hurt you again."

"He's dead."

"If he harms a hair on your head, I'm going to kill him with my bare hands. Don't go, it's a trap."

Gini was moved by her sister's protectiveness. Their mother had left them when the third baby came. Mama had been seven and she'd barely been three but they understood her need to escape. Their father was an angry and abusive man and they had been privy to the dirty secret the rest of the town was oblivious to. All thoughts of their mother coming back to rescue them from their father's fist disappeared as they grew. She'd escaped and left them behind to survive on their own. Mama had made an escape at eighteen on the pretense of going to the University to further her education while she'd ran away a year later.

Gini rested her head on her sister's. "Hey, I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Uh huh."

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow." She walked to her sons' room and her sister followed behind her. "I need to get to work now, my boss has to know I'll be taking a couple days off."

"What will you tell the boys?"

"The truth," she answered as she looked around for her shoes. "They know most of it anyway so it won't be difficult."

She found the shoes and put them on while Mama watched at her.

"You're right."

"Go back to sleep. There's lunch in the fridge for you and the boys."

Mama shook her head. "I don't think I can go back to sleep. I'll clean the house and do some laundry while you're away."

"I love you," Gini said as she opened the door to the apartment.

"Love you too, honey."

As Gini walked to work, she thought about home. She remembered the sea smell in the air, the cheap sea food at almost every corner of the streets. Fishes and other sea animals were their major source of feeding as they were gotten from the sea, rivers and swamps in the area. Her home wasn't enough to be called an island as water didn't totally surround the land, but there were enough water bodies scattered around the town. The Atlantic Ocean ran through the outskirt of the town while the sea came from another corner. Then there were several streams and rivers in unusual locations where people occasionally swam and fished.

Few weeks into joining her sister in the big city, she'd gotten home sick. She wasn't used to the rush nor the traffic. And the people didn't smile at strangers or stopped to gossip with each other. There were no nosey neighbors since everyone was busy grinding and hustling. Kids didn't play outside and doors were always locked since they were more vigilant and suspicious.

She'd gotten used to the city after she learnt of her pregnancy. She used to harbor thoughts of going back home to her father, she'd plead and ask for forgiveness and he'd take her back like the prodigal son. But when she missed her period twice in a row, the thoughts flew out of the window. She accepted the fact that she was never going back home as she didn't want to raise kids in the same household she was raised. She'd barely survived the horror and didn't want anyone she loved going through the same experience.

Now she could call herself a city girl. She knew how to haggle and bargain with sellers. She knew when to act classy and when to show her street side. She knew how to run after commercial buses early in the morning. Most importantly, she knew how to adapt.

"The manager wants to see you," Bisi, one of the cashiers said as she walked into work.

"I know I'm in trouble."

Bisi smiled as she continued attending to a customer. "I wish you luck."

"Thanks, I'll need it."

Gini hurried into the manager's office and his eyes narrowed immediately he saw her. Mr. Alfred was a nice boss who felt his workers took him for granted. He took extreme measures even when he didn't have to just to let everyone know he was the boss.

"Why are you late? Don't tell me your mother died this time. I've had enough of the excuses, this was the last straw... I can't condone anymore of this behavior." The tribal marks on his slightly fair face stood out as he frowned.

"I just got a call from home, my dad is dead."

"Oh my God!" His whole body language changed and he sank into the chair and cleaned his eyes. "Why are you here when you could have called? Go, go home and take care of things."

"Thanks."

"Take as much time as you need, your job will still be here waiting for you. I'll tell Bisi to give you your salary for the month."

"But it's the middle of the month."

"Take it, you'll need all the help you can get for the funeral arrangements."

"Thanks."

"Go."

Gini left the store and took a bus to her children's school. She settled the bill she was owing with her salary and went home to pack.