XXIV

Juwon cursed himself when he got home. He sat in the car and thought about how he shouldn't have flared up over Gini not answering his question. She was leaving town, and they shouldn't be fighting. His friends had made him start doubting everything again. He knew they were right about Gini, he was practically fraternizing with the enemy. He had excused her behavior, given her the benefit of the doubt but she wasn't making it easy. If he knew her side of the story, then he could know for sure that she was coerced or forced to betray him. He needed something... anything at all to make his feelings excusable despite knowing what she did in the past.

Gini made him confuse. How wasn't she comfortable with him yet? What exactly did she have to hide? He already knew the truth, he just needed to know why she did it. He would even accept her crocodile tears. He only needed an explanation.

He got out of the car and entered the house. Muna was in the kitchen stirring something on the stove, he said hi to her and joined his friends in the dinning room. They were up and eating breakfast, Juwon got a blackcurrant juice from the fridge and poured himself a glass.

He sighed as he took the glass to his mouth. What he didn't know was if Gini was done with him, especially since she was so good at cutting ties. One minute she was laughing with you and next she was moving on without giving an explanation.

He saw his friends all looking at him as he dropped the empty glass. "What?"

"What did she do now?" Roman asked and took a piece of scrambled egg in his fork.

"What did who do?"

"She's the only bad luck in your life as far as I can tell. Since you're looking like someone who just lost his dog, it only means she has done something again."

"She's not like that, we just had a fight."

"That's good news," Gbenga said.

Juwon grunted and took more juice.

"Can you guys just let this boy make his mistakes? We've said enough, if he still wants to be with her after all she did to him, then that's his decision," Femi said then closed his eyes.

"Where's Collins?" Juwon asked to change the conversation.

"Still in his room, I guess," Gbenga said.

"When are we seeing the resort?" Femi asked.

"We could go today," Juwon suggested.

Muna came out of the kitchen and went up the stairs. Juwon was glad she hadn't been around as they talked about Gini, she always made it worse.

"What time?" Roman asked.

"Twelve. I'll call my engineer to let him know we'll be coming."

The boys stood after eating and went to their rooms. Juwon stayed back and called Gini.

"I'll call you when I get home," she said and ended the call.

He was picking on the egg he'd piled on his plate when Collins entered.

"Morning."

"Good morning, where's Gini?" he asked as he took a seat.

"She left earlier. Didn't she tell you she was leaving today?"

"I must have forgotten. I'll call her later."

Juwon raised his brows. "You have her number?"

"Yea. Don't worry, I didn't tell her about your revenge plans."

"I wasn't worried."

He didn't like that Collins was talking with Gini behind his back. They were all close in age and he felt insecure around him. He had the same physique as the guy Gini used to be in an on and off relationship with which meant he was her type. Why had Gbenga even brought him along?

He left the table and went up to his room. Juwon got all the reports he'd abandoned earlier and attended to them. He hadn't even cared to know how far his business was going these past days. He slept off in between calculating the amount he needed to spend the following week for the resort interior. His phone woke him up and he reached for the device. Gini was the one calling and he answered it.

"Birdie?"

"I just got home," she said.

"That's great. How are you feeling now?"

"Better."

"I'm sorry for this morning. It's fine if you're not ready to say anything, it's no big deal really."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm very sure. We've only been together for like a week and I don't want to fight with you over something like that."

He heard her laugh and he smiled.

"I love you."

"I love you too. I'll let you know when I get back in the city."

"Okay, I'll talk to you later. I have so many things I have to do but I'll call you before I go to bed."

"Please do. Take care."

"You too."

She ended the call and he dropped his phone. He got his laptop to face time his engineer and he informed him that he was coming for supervision with some of his friends. Juwon changed his clothes and wore an oversized tank top with a pair of faded jeans shorts. He went down the stairs and got an apple from the kitchen, then he texted his friends before switching the TV on.

He and Gini were good, he didn't have to worry about a thing. He got his phone from his pocket and asked for her address via text. She replied immediately asking why and he responded that he wanted to send her a gift. Gini sent her address after he reassured her that he wasn't planning a surprise visit. He chatted Muna next and asked where she usually got her jewelry from. Instead of replying his text, she came down the stairs and joined him in the living room.

"Depends on the kind of jewelry you're looking for."

"Anything cute. Gini just got home so I want to send her a gift."

"What's your budget?"

He smirked. "It's for Gini, there's no budget."

Muna rolled her eyes then got her laptop. She found some gift sets online and showed him a bracelet with a heart charm. Juwon picked the piece and added a neck chain with double pendents to his cart. He called Gini's address out and Muna typed it in the delivery section.

His friends were laughing as they came down the stairs. They were all dressed casually and Femi had on his favorite black durag. Juwon wore his shoes and drove them out of the house. The boys were talking about their night out as he drove.

"I don't pay for sex," Femi was saying.

"Dude, stop lying. You paid her," Gbenga was laughing with Roman.

"Don't you have a girlfriend?" Juwon asked.

"Pftt, it was just sex."

"Isn't that cheating?"

"Whatever. Her parents don't like my job anyway."

"Alright, man."

"I didn't pay for sex," he continued.  "She came to our table after you left with Gini. I went to the dance floor with her when she offered then followed her to the bathroom later."

"Why did you follow her to the bathroom?" Juwon asked.

"I spilled drink on her, mistakingly," he stressed the last word.

Juwon shook his head. "Oh boy!"

"We tried to get rid of the stain before getting distracted."

"You had sex with her in the bathroom?"

"Yea, then I gave her some cash for ruining her dress."

Roman and Gbenga started laughing again.

"You paid for pussy," Roman teased.

"I don't have to pay for it, it comes to me all day everyday," he drawled.

Gbenga started clapping and Femi slapped his hands. Juwon, who was driving laughed as they fooled around.

"Your assistant was all up in Roman's arms lastnight," Femi said at an attempt to get even.

"She was drunk," Roman said.

"Drunk and kissing your neck, you lie so fucking much, bro. Do you know they left the club before us?" Femi added.

"Roman?" Juwon asked.

"Nothing happened. The fuck is wrong with you? Can't a gentleman help a drunk lady again?"

"A gentleman." Femi laughed hysterically. "The jokes do tell themselves."

"Don't give me that look," Roman growled at Juwon.

"I didn't do anything. What's pissing you off? You already said nothing happened."

"She stayed in the kitchen all morning because you guys were going to make her uncomfortable about last night and she refused to come along with us for the same reason."

"Argh! We won't say anything about it again," Femi conceded.

"Collins, why was Gbenga in your room last night?" Roman picked on Gbenga.

Collins who had had his eyes glued to his phone since the beginning of the trip looked up. "What?"

Juwon looked at Gbenga through the rear view mirror and knew things were about to get messy.

"I was borrowing something," Gbenga answered before Roman could repeat his question.

"You were throwing yourself at me," Collins said and smiled.

"Eww, I was not. You're like a brother to me, I'd never do that."

"Yea, I know. I was only teasing."

Everyone laughed and Roman started talking about grand ideas for the resort immediately they drove through the gate. Juwon showed them around and Gbenga talked about helping him find some doctors for the clinic that was under construction. His friends tried the zipline he'd asked to be installed after they strolled round the resort. They laughed as Roman screamed as he ziplined across the trees. They all went home buzzed with future talks of visiting the resort once it was opened for business.