Chapter 30

"Why can't I go?" Arthur grabbed his hat from the table beside his cot, ignoring me as we hurried passed.

"Hello? I'm talking to you!"

He stops now, rolling his shoulders. He turns slowly, coughing roughly but recovering quickly. I could see the pain in his eyes despite his attempt at hiding it.

"Cause. You just got back, we don't know what those idiots have planned. I ain't gettin you killed because of their plans." He tipped his hat, speed walking away now.

"If he ain't gonna use ya, I could." I jumped at the sound of Sadie's voice. She was standing behind me, watching as I watched Arthur go off once again.

"For what exactly?" She raises a blonde brow slowly at my suspiciousness.

"Well...I know the whereabouts of some O'Driscolls that I'd personally like to pay a visit to." She smirked but the pain and anger in her eyes spoke volumes.

"Sadie I-"

"Alright. I'll go by myself. Just figure, after what they did to you.." she trailed off, then began to walk away as if defeated.

"I'll go.." guilt ate at me. "On one condition."

She stopped, turning slowly. "And that is?"

"I'll tell you on the ride there."

____________

"If I disappear again...or die, please watch over Arthur for me."

She slows her horse, meeting my pace now. "So you're planning on leavin' again?" She almost growled.

"No.. I don't plan on anything. But shit happens." I shrug.

"Yeah..ya know it killed Arthur when ya left. He just wasn't himself, I mean the man is already quiet. It just..hurt him." My heart broke at her honesty.. I know it hurt him, it hurt me.

"Yeah well if you only knew what all went down, you'd understand."

She shrugged, spurring her horse ahead again. "Just remember, he loves you.. regardless of what he says or acts like."

____________

We ride up to a ran down house. Sadie jumps off, stalking towards the trees just beyond the house, then motions for me to follow.

"Okay.. up the hill from this old house, they're staying in the barn.."

I checked the cylinder of my revolver, making sure it's loaded and nodded.

She stays crouched down, rushing up the hill. I followed after she gave the okay but still remaining cautious.

Atop the hill, drunken men sang and danced around a little fire in front of the barn. Sadie grimaced, rolling her eyes. "Son of a bitches.." she growls.

She ducks behind a wagon, waving for me to get behind the outhouse off to the left.

As I rush over, I trip over a rock as it caught my skirt tail and fall hard. "Shit.." I quietly hiss as rocks scrape my knee.

"Aye! What was that!?" An Irish man slurred from inside the outhouse.

I panick, straightening myself and scurrying behind it now.

I lean onto the wood, listening. I hear the sound of a buckle and fabric. "Aye! Who's fuckin with me while I'm tryin to shit!"

I bite my lip, shakily cocking the hammer on my gun back.

"Damn idiots! Can't a feller shit in peace!?"

"Ain't nobody botherin' you!" Another man hollered.

"Well.. y'all be liars too!" He cursed them, mumbling something under his breath as he continues back into the outhouse.

I released a sigh of relief.. I look over to Sadie now who looks mega pissed right now. Then she pulls two pistols from her gun belt, jumping out from the wagon. "Hey boys!" She hollers.

A flurry of curses and gasps sounded, then she starts shooting.

The outhouse man came barreling out, sloppily grabbing for his gun. I jumped out, shooting him in the chest and he fell with a thud.

____________

I hear Sadie screaming from within the barn. I rush in only to see her repeatedly stabbing a man. The sickening sound made bile rise in the back of my throat.. blood splashed about as the man started to become unrecognizable from the repeated stabs.

"Sadie."

She cries, screaming as she becomes weak but still continues.

"Sadie! It's over!" I yell, her eyes are dark Emerald now, tears streaming down her face.

"It ain't! It won't ever be!" She screams.

I know! But you can't kill everyone and expect the pain to stop! It won't.." she stands slowly. "And I'm sorry for that." I lower my voice, approaching her slowly.

She stares at me with a blank look. "I wanna die.. but I ain't no coward." She shakes her head. "They gotta pay, I'll die trying!"

"No you aren't a coward..but you have to learn to let go." I slowly reach out for her, regardless of the blood. Her pain radiates to me.

She lets me hug her, crying into my shoulder for her late husband, Jake.

All I can think about is what she said about Arthur and...how this could very well be me in the future.