Chapter 2

I feel a chill and the sound of birds chirping loudly ring in my head. I open my eyes to a blue sky, white clouds moving slowly above me. "what the hell?" I sit up quickly, sticks and rocks jabbing into my palms. I'm in the middle of a forest in God knows where. I stand quickly, looking up at the looming trees. I spot a hiking path and hear what sounds to be a horse trotting close by.

The day was chilly and the hills were deserted.. walking on up the path a strange looking man on a wagon comes riding up. I must be dreaming. I shake my head trying to wake myself but he's still very much there and approaching.

"excuse me sir." he pulls back on the reigns looking at me strangely, his weathered face is oddly familiar. "where are we exactly?"

"Miss..you shouldn't be alone in.." he leans forward, whispering "this kind of country. Theres criminals everywhere." he tries to stay serious but then smiles mischievously, then looks down at my attire with a scrunched up face. "say, what the hell you wearin?" He asks suddenly.

"pajamas.." I say slowly. "anyways I'm lost. I don't know where I am. I think my friend is pranking me." he looked at me strangely, I was hoping he'd admit to being in on it.

"I don't know about all that but I'll give you a ride to emerald ranch. I gotta take this.." he hesitated, looking back, "junk to a fence there." He gestured to the back of the wagon which had statues of half naked women and paintings strode about.

"hold up..emerald ranch?" I began to panic. "dude..this ain't funny. How much is Lindsay paying you?" I started to hysterically laugh.

"miss I aint got time to play these little games. either get on or I'm leaving." he started to get frustrated, taking the reigns firmly in in gloved hands.

my heart sinks..I'm screwed.

"ok, ok...take me to emerald ranch."

he reaches for my hand and pulls me up onto the wagon, I take the seat beside him.

__________________________

pulling into emerald ranch the realization hit me like a bag of bricks, its just like the damn game...

"here we are." he pulls the wagon in front of a barn.

"thanks man. do you know where the nearest... general store is?" I ask thinking of the game.

"over in valentine.. that's a few miles over. but if you wait on me ill take you on over there."

I nodded, hopping down, and taking a seat at the bench in front of the barn. He clicks his tongue for the horse to move.

"Hello Seamus." He greets the man opening the barn doors and pulls the wagon inside and the doors shut behind him.

how the hell am I in the game? this has to be a dream...

"Isabella." a feminine voice booms. I look around frantically but no ones there and my surrounding is completely still now, no chill anymore and no slight breeze. Just stillness.

"Hello?" I ask, my voice is shaky.

"Izzy! It's Lindsay! What the hell is going on? I booted up my ps4 and there you are!"

"Lindsay...I don't know whats going on! I woke up in the woods and this man helped me get to emerald ranch...I-I searched for clues last night and a weird message popped up on my phone." I shake my head, hands trembling. "It said you have five chances..I thought it was a weird pop up but now I'm thinking otherwise."

"hold on.. is your phone still here?" I nod up to the sky. "I'll go get your phone!" she yells and her voice booms over my head.

"ok I got it, passcode please?" her voice is so calm..it's annoying.