Chapter 22

We walked and talked all the way to the upscale saloon in the city. It was bustling and loud, the night had fallen so all the rowdy men and women of the city came crawling out.

We bought some food, couple shots, and rented a room for the night. As we hurried up the stairs, people were knocking into us and giving us smirks and winks.. some women tapped me on the shoulder, "ain't you a lucky girl." Winking then stare at Arthur with seductive smiles. I almost rolled my eyes.

We rushed into the room, locking the door with a sigh of relief. The muffled sound of people laughing and gossiping just outside sounded like a huge party going on.. that's definitely where you wouldn't find me in real life, I'd be curled in bed with a book or watching a tv show.. too much interference and crowded in situations like this. It's draining.

"Well..that was great." I huff, falling onto the bed with a satisfied sigh. I look up to see Arthur wearing a smug grin. "What?"

"Nothin' you look real comfortable." He smirked.

"Don't get anything funny that pretty head of your's Arthur." I raise up onto my elbows to peer at him.

He approached slowly, like a predator closing in on its prey. He leaned on the bed post, staring down at me approvingly.

"It ain't like its never crossed my mind before." He winked. This side of Arthur makes my legs and arms go to pudding..

"Me as well but...it ain't proper." I sit up now, a breath away from him. He leans in, arms supported on the bed on both sides of me. His face a hair away.

"Well it's a good thing I don't call myself a gentleman and we ain't real proper are we Miss Monroe?" He winked, giving me a peck of a kiss.

"I for one, am proper. But you...are a mean spirited cowboy who seems to like bothering-" his lips were on mine now, the words fell out of mouth and hung in the air for a later time.

I'm at his mercy and so help me...proper was not on the agenda tonight.

____________

The next morning, Arthur woke me. "Sweetheart..we gotta go." His rushed tone fully awoke me. I found myself scrambling and hurriedly putting my clothes on...something I haven't done since working at the library.

After we were dressed and ready to go, Arthur grabbed me and pulled me into a hard hug. "Last night...was pure. If that doesn't convince you to go with me after all this then I don't know what will." He smiled adoringly at me. My heart fluttered.

"Arthur...if it was up to me, I'd follow you to the ends of the earth..until there was no more breath in my lungs." He chuckled at my exaggeration. But it's true.

We hurried out of the saloon and onto the road again. My heart soared and broke at the same time..how will I do this if I'm falling..?