Chapter 16

Several weeks of recovery later...

"Isabella!" Sadie called behind me. I had taken a break from singing with the group to walk and get fresh air. After the confrontation with that...voice. I've felt extra claustrophobic during this recovery. Panicky and anxious.

"Hello Mrs Adler." I greeted.

"How you been feelin, Arthur told me you got a real ass kickin."

The words swam in my mind. What do you even say to that? "Yeah..that doesn't even do it justice."

"Well he told me you tore a big chunk out of one em' and the other a knife to the neck. Damn bastards deserve it that's for sure."

I nodded, watching the pink and orange sky turn more and more grey. "You and I have both been wronged by them O'Driscolls." I say looking to her, her green eyes hold a fire that...I have a feeling will burn everyone who's done her wrong.

"What they did to me...they will pay." She growled, that fire igniting more. "And for what they tried to do to you. But you gotta help me, deal?" She reaches an olive tone hand out to me. I took it eagerly, shaking firmly and smiling.

"Deal."

"What are you ladies doin out here?" Arthur interrupted, thumbs hooked into his belt. A lazy smile graced his face, blue eyes lit up.
He's drunk...

"Arthur, are ya lit?" Sadie asked with a chuckle.

"Nahh..I don't get drunk Mrs Adler." Once again a smile appeared.

"Sure ya don't." She walked towards camp again, leaving Arthur and I. "See ya later Isabella." She smiled back at me and continued.

Arthur stood there smiling at me then chuckled. "Ya know, when I first saw you...I felt somethin'. Now look at us." He walked towards me, laying a big hand on my shoulder.

"What do you mean?" I asked, the confusion and curiosity getting the best of me, his warm hand is burning a hole into my shoulder. A burning the spreads like wildfire.

"We dance around each other..I guess I should say I tiptoe around you like...a foolish boy. Afraid something might..Damn I don't know." He stared out over the water now.

"I don't know either." I agree.

"I'm always savin' you." He suddenly says.. god if he only knew.

"I know."

"But I guess it's better than burying you." Chuckles more.

"Yes, most definitely better." My eyes widened at the thought, he squeezes my shoulder.
He suddenly got closer, dropping that hand to my elbow. He pulled me a little closer, I could smell tobacco and bourbon on his breath. His blue eyes sparkled under the moonlight, full lips parted slightly as if to say something but stopped suddenly.

"Arthur-" He shushes me, face serious.

"Don't say anything. Mary..she always had a way of ruinin' things with speakin." The name felt like a punch to the gut.

"I'm not Mary." I met his gaze, his eyes looked dark and inviting.

"Don't I know it." He chuckled.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No." He leans forward, eyes closed. Then he freezes.

"What the hell are you doing!?" Lindsay screams overhead.

"REALLY!?" I groan with frustration.

"You aren't supposed to kiss him Bella!" She shouts.

"Let the player choose, this is her fate." The ominous voice suddenly drops in.

"I don't like this at all." Lindsay warns.

"Begin."

Suddenly warm lips are on mine, I gasp from the suddenness. But soon the taste of bourbon and his warmth embraced me, he deepened the kiss.. while I was enjoying his warm, full lips..the voice ran through my head. 'This is her fate.'

Arthur pulled away, staring at me with confusion. "Shit.." he hissed, suddenly sober.

"What?" My face burned as the blush creeped up.

"I'm sorry Isabella.. I-" then he walks off, leaving me confused and hurt.