Chapter twenty-two

Kc's POV
I played with Zion's dreads as we watched American Horror Story. Before the next episode could play, I turned the tv off.
"Kc, I was watching that" He wined.
"We've been watching that all day" I say getting up. "It's time we actually do something"
I pull him out from under the blanket.
"Cmon Caleb" I say as I drag him downstairs to the kitchen.
I get the dough for chocolate chip cookies while Zion sat with his head down on the table.
"Any song requests?" I say setting everything up.
"I fall apart- post Malone" he says looking up and resting his chin on his hand.
"Mmm no" I say. "Alexa, play goodbyes by post Malone"
I see Zion start to bob his head as the song starts. I preheat the oven and start to put the cookie dough on the sheets.
"I want you outta my head, I want you outta bedroom tonight" he sings along. He gets up and starts to help me.
"I'm no good at goodbyes" we sing. Zion smiles and dances to the song.
We put the cookies in the oven and sing and dance to the music. Zion looked happy. Dancing and singing with me. A couple other songs play when Thinking out Loud starts to play.

For a better visual, play thinking out loud by Ed Sheeran.

"Ugh. Hold on lemme change it" I say.
"Why what's so wrong with this?" Zion says.
"It's cheesy and too slow" I say.
"Cmonnn" he grabs my arms and puts the around his shoulders. He puts his hands on my waist and we slowly waltz to the tune. I smile.
"This is something straight out of a basic romance novel" I say laughing.
"My god Kc can't you just enjoy one moment we have together" he says giving me a spin. We laugh.
"Can I ask you something?" He says.
"Shoot" I say.
"Why did you call me Caleb all day today?" He asks me. "I mean it doesn't bother me that you call me my first name, it's just... different"
I let out a sigh.
"It's kinda hard to explain. It's kinda like if there are two versions of you. There's Zion and there's Caleb. Zion's a fun, happy, goofy, and loving guy. While Caleb's a sad, heartbroken, train wreck of emotions. You aren't you when you're sad. And I hate seeing you that way Zion"
He looks deep into my eyes.
"I'm sorry" he says.
"It's not your fault, Z" I say.
"Yes it is. I keep going back to her"
"Why do you, then? If you know it kills you every time?"
"I don't know. Part of me tells me to listen to you guys. But the other part just craves her. Like if she's the missing puzzle piece in my life"
"Zion you don't need a girl in your life to be happy"
"No. I do need a girl. Just not Sammi" he says pulling me closer.
"What" I say.
"You are the only girl I need in my life to be happy" he leans in to kiss me.
"Zion." I say pulling away. "We made a deal"
"Cmon Kc. I like you" he says pulling me back in.
"Except you don't. You're just hurt. And I get it, but I'm not going to be your rebound. I stand by what we said before, about being just friends" I say.
He looks at the ground.
"Yeah maybe you're right" he says.
"You're my best friend. What else could I ask for" I say smiling.
"Thanks for today, K. You really did help me" He says pulling me into a hug. "Things are going to stay the same right? It ain't gonna be awkward like the last few times?" He asks me.
I laugh.
"I won't make it awkward if you won't" I say.
"You got yourself a deal" he says giving me a fist bump.
We change the music to a more upbeat vibe. The boys get home and we share our cookies with them. It finally felt normal again.