chapter 7

Throughout the day, the dig site where Seth had been found was extended by another two meters all around while Seth made an incredible progress on his own, moving from one dig site to another and back again, seeming almost frantic.

I walked from site to site occasionally to see if anything new turned up as more sand was dislodged. Unfortunately, nothing was found and by five in the afternoon the workers where wrapping up their work day, only Seth was still going.

I walked over to the site he was currently digging up. I could feel the wind gaining intensity as I got closer, my clothes fluttering behind me, and soon grains of sand started whipping against my skin. I raised my arm and shielded my eyes from the merciless onslaught as I pushed forward.

"Seth!" I shouted, but my voice got lost in the howling wind.

"Seth!?" I tried again even though I knew it was useless.

I tried to see through the sand but couldn't. I was just about to turn back when suddenly, everything calmed down. The wind died down and the sand settled back on the ground. I looked up and Seth was standing there, looking at me. He was sweating profusely and breathing hard.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Where done working for today."

"What? No! We have to keep looking!"

"We can't, its gonna be dark in like an hour and the workers are hungry."

"Ok then, I will keep looking alone."

He turned around and started to walk but I grabbed his arm and stopped him, noticing that there were sparks every single time I touched him skin to skin. He threw me a nasty look over his shoulder and yanked his arm out of my grasp.

"You should take a break too. Your gonna hurt yourself if you push your body to much. I'm sure your friend..." I started, but he cut me off.

"My mate, not my friend, my mate." He corrected me.

"Ok... your mate, I'm sure he wouldn't want you driving yourself ragged or getting sick because of this."

"I can't get sick."

"Everyone fall ill sometimes. Look, just take a break for today and come eat with me. We will continue looking tomorrow... please?"

He glanced at me again before letting out a deep breath, his shoulders slumping.

"Ok fine. But we are starting again first thing in the morning tomorrow."

"Of course."

He looked at the dig site again and we started walking back towards the tents.

"No luck?" I asked.

"No, there is nothing whatsoever. Nothing but sand..." He answered.

"Don't worry, we will find him if he is out there."

"Of course we will, I'm a Cyton after all. I can do anything."

"Yeah, sure, ok..."

We walked on in silence and reached my tent in a matter of minutes. I was just about to walk past it to get our food when Seth turned abruptly and entered my tent. I stopped and followed him in.

"Aren't you hungry?" I asked.

"Yes I am." He answered.

"Ok... well the food is right over that way..."

"Ok, so it won't take you long." He made a motion with his hand, indicating for me to go.

"You want me too go get your food...? No, no, no. Your coming with me. Sorry to break it to you... again... but your not a king anymore. Your gonna come get your food yourself and choose what you want to eat." I said, walking over to him and grabbing his hand, pulling him up.

He shook me off again and grumbled something under his breath before stomping out of the tent again. I rushed after him and we made our way to the table full of food that had been set out for the meal. We wondered around the tables until we had both grabbed enough food for us. I had picked a ham sandwich, a box of apple juice, a small container of carrots, a chocolate pudding and two oranges where Seth took an egg sandwich, a box of apple juice, a mini cucumber and a slice of chocolate cake.

We walked back to my tent and he sat on my bed while I sat at my desk. I unwrapped my sandwich and took a bite, while Seth just sat there and stared at his.

"What?" I asked.

"This... looks strange." He answered.

"Just take off the wrapper and try it. It's not the best but it's good."

He looked at it for a few more seconds before picking up his sandwich and following my instructions. He took a cautious bite and chewed it slowly. His eyes went big and he hummed.

"Wow, it really is good." He said, surprised.

"You should try the ham one tomorrow, it's even better." I told him.

He nodded absentmindedly and practically shoved the hole sandwich in his mouth.

"Slow down, you'll make yourself sick." I said.

"I hadn't noticed how hungry I was till now." He answered.

"I can imagine. After being locked in there for two thousand years..."

We continued eating in silence until Seth jumped to his feet and started walking towards the entrance.

"Where are you going?" I questioned.

"To get more food." He answered, before walking out.

I continued eating my food until Seth came back with six sandwiches, four slices of cake, two apples and two juice boxes.

"Your gonna eat all of that?" I asked.

"No. I want to keep some for when we find my mate." He said.

"There will be more then. We won't run out of food."

"I'm not taking that chance. I want to have something to give him as soon as I find him."

"Ok... at least keep it in my cooler or else it'll go bad. You can bring the cooler with you when you go dig for him."

He nodded stiffly and placed half of everything he carried in the cooler before going back to the bed and continuing to eat. I waited in silence as he ate and once he was done, I offered him my books to read as that is what I did at the end of the day most of the time. He decided to read a history book I had and I resumed where I had left off the previous night in my police mystery book.

At around 10 PM, I decided to head to bed. I brushed my teeth and handed my spare toothbrush to Seth for when he went to bed and told him what to do before taking off my shirt and pants, going to bed in only my boxers.