Chapter 6

Once everything was back in its place, we had all the workers start digging again extending outwards from where Seth had been.

"This is too slow." Seth commented.

"Well, there's only so much we can do. They can't go any faster." I said.

"Not you, but I can." He answered.

Before I could ask what he meant or how, there was a strong burst of wind and Seth was in the air, his wings beating slowly as he looked down at the dig site.

"Everyone move!" He said in an booming voice that echoed around us.

The workers looked up for a second before slowly starting to make there way out of the hole, grumbling.

Seth's eyes started to glow again and the speed of his wings increased to the point where we could barely see them anymore.

Sand started blowing up all around us, blinding us and sending a few of the workers into a panic as the wall of sand slowly got bigger and closer towards us. A few went running but all very quickly seemed to bump into something and fell down. I looked around and noticed that the area we were standing in was blocked off from the storm somehow.

I took a few steps forward with my hand stretched out in front of me and it came into contact with an invisible wall. The wind kept blowing for ten minutes before it finally died down.

We were left standing in mid air as the sand that had been below us had also been blown away. Seth landed in the now twice as big hole and lowered us down gently. The walls shimmered and disappeared as Seth's eyes returned to normal.

Slowly, the workers spread out and made their way around the room we had previously discussed and I followed, looking around to see if anything new had been uncovered. Sadly, there was nothing new to be seen. I turned the corner,getting back to were I had started and found Seth still standing there, looking defeated.

"Hey, don't give up just yet, there is still a lot of place to look." I said.

"I know. I just really thought he was neer me... well... where you found me. I want to find him as fast as possible." He answered.

"It might take a little more time but we will find him. If you say he's here and still alive then I give you the benefit of the doubt and we will keep looking."

"Yeah... I mean, I know he is out there I just really want to see him again after all this time. See if he is ok..."

He coughed and suddenly, his walls were back up and he closed off again.

"Anyway! I will go look around see if I can find anything. You do what you have to do here." He instructed and flew out of the hole.

I raised an eyebrow at his retreating back and crossed my arms. Rachel walked up to me, staring in the same direction as me.

"You ok?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I'm good." I answered.

"What happened?"

"He's just stressed about finding his friend. I think the hole king facade he puts up is just to distance himself from people, deep down he is a nice guy."

"Hmmm, could be but you just met him, you don't know anything about him. Maybe that's just who he is."

"Yeah. No matter, let's just keep digging and see what we get."

Rachel went back to shouting at the workers to start digging and indicating them where to dig. I spotted Charles standing outside the hole and frowned. I glanced around and just as I had thought, the ladder we used to get in and out of the hole was missing, blown away by the wind and probably buried in the sand somewhere.

"How did you get up there?" I questioned him.

"I was never in the hole to begin with." He answered.

"What do you mean? Weren't you here just now with all the workers?"

"No I wasn't."

"Then where the hell were you?!"

"Umm, I slept in... I figured that since we were leaving my job was done and I could take a break..."

"What? What made you fucking think your job was done? Even if we were leaving you still had to help packing up and coordinate everything!"

"Sorry..." He blushed.

"You'll know for next time. Now can you please get us another ladder so that we can get out of here?"

"Right away boss."

"Don't call me that!" I shouted after him.

I heard him laugh as he walked away. A few minutes later he came back and lowered the ladder into the hole. I grabbed it and placed it against the side, making sure it was as stable as could be and climbed out.

I could see a cloud of dust start to rise in the distance at what seemed to be dig site 4. Charles followed my gaze and shagged.

"It's still a little ways out, we have one before it gets here. There where no workers at that dig site right?"

"The workers are all here. What do you mean until it gets here?"

"The sandstorm... it doesn't seem to be moving too fast, we will have time to evacuate before it hits."

"That's not a sandstorm. That's Seth, the guy we found into the hole. Didn't you know he was back?"

"No... I just woke up... he came back?!"

"Yeah he did. And he also told us that he has a friend buried like him somewhere out there and he helped male this hole bigger looking for him. How could you sleep through all of that noise?"

"Oh wow, I really missed a lot. Is that why you had no ladder? I figured it had broken while you where in there and you got stuck."

"Hmm, it does happen a lot. We should buy better quality ladders..."

"Wait... does that mean where not leaving then?"

"Yes, it does."

Charles cheered and and ran around for a minute before jumping into the hole and helping Rachel coordinate the work efforts.