Chapter 4

I stared at him for a long time, hundreds of questions running through my head, leaving me lost as to were to start.

"You... you speak english?" I asked.

"Mmmm, yes." He answered.

"You know... my name?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"I read your mind, thus I permitted myself to learn your language through your memories. But don't worry, I didn't look at anything else."

I stared at him, bewildered.

"You... what?" I questioned.

"I read your mind." He stated again.

"That's impossible..." I trailed off.

"Not for us it's not."

"Us...?"

"Yeah, us Cyton people. I am their king. And since my people rule over your people, I am your king as well."

"Ummm... first of all, you definitely ain't my king, and second of all what the fuck are the Cyton people?"

"How dare you show such disrespect to your king? You should be bowing down in front of me."

"No."

He starred at me with anger boiling in his eyes. For a few minutes nothing happened until finally, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a second.

"We will fix this issue later, for now get me out of these chains." He ordered.

"No way." I answered.

"I command you to free me right this instant."

"Still not gonna do it. Your perfectly fine just the way you are until you answer my questions."

"Wha... how dare... mmmh, alright fine, ask your questions mortal."

"Mortal? Whatever. First question, why were you locked in that room?"

"That's a long story and also none of your business."

"Hmm, well you see, I have a lot of free time right now so..."

"... Fine. I was locked in there by my brother who wanted my throne and my queen who loved him, bla, bla, bla. The typical king locked in a dungeon story."

"Mmhmm... let's say I believe you, how long have you been in there?"

"Well, I don't know... probably hundreds of years."

"What's the last big event you remember?"

"This guy that called himself Jesus claimed he was the son of god or something like that..."

"That was in 4 BC... 2023 years ago..."

"What? I've been in there for over 2000 years?!"

I stared at him in shock as he looked up at the ceiling with his mouth wide open.

"No, no, no... that's not possible... how could this have happened...?" He muttered before his eyes turned red and the chains shattered.

I jumped back away from him in surprise. He bolted from the bed and ran out of the tent. I quickly regained my composure and ran after him only to see a pair of two meter long pitch black wings sprout from his retreating back. He jumped up and in one beat of his huge wings, he took off and zoomed away in a blur of black.

"What the hell happened? You let him out of his chains?" Rachel questioned as she ran over to me.

"Of course not! He broke out of them all by himself after he learned that he had been in that room for more then 2000 years." I explained.

"2000 years?! What?!" Charles asked from behind us.

"I know right. Who would have thought he was that old?" I answered.

"Just who is this guy?" Rachel questioned.

"Well, he mentioned being the king of the... what was it again? The cyble... cyblon?... cyton?... yes that was it, the Cyton!"

"The fuck are Cyton?" Rachel asked.

"He said something about them being our rulers at some time, but I didn't get any further then that." I said.

"Ok, what else did he tell you before he left?"

"He told me he ended up in that room the typical way of a king being betrayed by envious siblings... oh! And he can read minds and speaks english cuz he learned it from my memories."

"Did he tell you where he was going?" Charles asked.

"Of course not!" I shouted.

"Well you never know..." Charles mumbled before walking off.

"Now what?" Rachel questioned.

"Now nothing. We pack up and we go home. We just lost the single valuable thing we found on this hole entire expedition, there is nothing left for us here. I just hope that this won't damage my reputation as an archeologist too much..." I told her.

"What? We can't just leave! We spent so much time and effort to find him! What if he comes back?"

"Haha, he won't come back Rachel. Why the fuck would he come back? We are nothing to him."

"Yeah, but... ah fuck! Your right. I'll go tell everyone to start packing." She sighed and stomped off.

I looked one last time in the direction the man, whose name I had not gotten around to asking, had taken off in before returning to my tent. Once inside, I glanced at my watch and saw that it was already 4:30 in the afternoon.

I looked at the bits and pieces of chains laying around my bed and picked one up. It felt cool and sturdy in my hand just like any normal chain and yet he broke then to this extent in just seconds with his bare hands.

I picked up the pieces and placed them in a bag in order to bring them home with me for closer inspection. My stomach grumbled just as I finished, reminding me that I had not eaten anything today yet. I grabbed a sandwich out of my private cooler along with a beer and chocolate cookies I had in my suitcase. I sat on my bed and ate quickly.

Once I was done, I decided to go see how much progress the crew had made in packing up the equipment. Everyone was hard at work despite the heat and had made a good start although there was still a lot of work left to do.

"You guys can take a break now. Go eat and then you can all take the rest of the night off. We will resume packing tomorrow morning." I instructed the crew.

There was a chorus of shigs and they all scurried away. I continued walking for about twenty minutes before the days adrenaline fully wore off and I started feeling exhausted. I made my way back to my tent, closed the flaps, flopped on the bed without even changing out of my clothes and was out like a light within seconds.