☆12☆

I take a deep breath and firmly knock on the door. It was after-school and I felt anxious to meet Janine again, even after Kaneki kissed me and walked off to Anteiku to help out Touka from another last-minute phone call.

Immediately the door clicks and swings open, revealing Janine wearing a pretty blood red dress with suspenders over a black long-sleeve shirt and black crew socks. Her chic fashion taste dominated my casual look of leggings and a shirt under a plain, grey hoodie, but I don't say anything.

"Welcome to my humble abode, my little Y/N!" she greeted, and I mentally sweatdropped. Janine and I were basically the same height, so it really wasn't necessary to call me "little," but I cope. Before I was to step inside the room, a sudden wavy feeling grows in my gut. I hesitate and shrug it off, casually entering the apartment.

"Nice place you have here, Janine," I smiled. One bed and one bath apartment with an open kitchen and living room. The furniture and appliances were modern and classy white, and simple decorations were everywhere along with potraits of herself, her family, friends, and with Ben, were framed on the walls and shelves. There were large windows almost on every wall (like Grandma's place), but the afternoon light was somehow concealed by thick, black curtains. I didn't care considering there was so much lighting from the electric lamps in the kitchen and living room.

"Thanks so much!" she grinned cheefully, locking the door behind us. She takes a deep breath in around her and her grin widens. "Just make yourself at home!"

I settled on the couch quietly waiting as Janine prepares something in the kitchen nearby. We chat and giggle a little and moments later she comes to me with a tray of vanilla biscuits and black coffee.

I ate most of the biscuits and took tiny sips of the black coffee. We chat some more and I tell Janine a little bit about myself when she asked me questions here and there. I even gave her a charm for being so nice to me today: the giftbox. Her bright personality was like a gift to me, as I was a gift to her (according to Janine anyway). It was quiet again until Janine spoke up.

"So, Kaneki must been a joy to hang around then, even if he's really quiet."

I laughed lightly. "He sure is! I mean, he's not really that quiet. Maybe to other people he's never met before, but if it's just me and him or with James and Bree or Grandma, he'll keep the conversation going."

"That makes sence since you are all so close!" smiled Janine, and I nod. "Have you and Kaneki ever considered moving in together?"

My eyes widened and I hesitate. "I mean... that would be nice. The thought just never occured to me before since I'm comfortable living with my Grandma in the mean time. But, maybe when I save up more money from work and Kaneki and I have talked things through about finding a place, then perhaps we can make it work when we get a teeny bit older. His place is just a little too small if we want to keep the relationship going, if you know what I mean."

"I see," she muttered. "You must really love him then."

"Yeah, I do. Kaneki's my everything, basically," I laughed when she does. "I mean, you love Ben too! You moved in with him so quickly. That's a lot of love right there!"

"Yeahhhh..." she paused and turns away.

I frowned. "...I'm sorry, was it something I said?"

Janine shakes her head. "No, you just... "she holds a hand to her chest. "Really touched my heart."

"Have I?" I giggled. "Aw, that's good to hear!"

She doesn't react, and I interrupt with the question that has been bugging me the entire visit. "Anyways, Janine..." I pause for effect. "You and Ben have been living here for... how long?"