Chapter 29 - [Jealousy]

Start from the beginning

     A cruel smile formed on Avaryn’s face. “Kill her.” He said, red eyes as dark as they could be. “She is the least of my concern.”

     Dukaryn hesitated, shocked, but when he recomposed himself he shouted the order. “Slit her throat!”

     Seliaryn’s heart sank, believing the villain for a second. But in a fraction of a second, two members of the Hidden had knocked out the two knights holding Meenu and Avaryn was standing in front of Dukaryn.

     Dukaryn released his evil right then, the blood dripping down his eyes and the dark aura filling the room, but it was useless against Avaryn.

     The King was a dead man.

     But before Avaryn could run his sword through Dukaryn’s heart, Seliaryn attacked.

     He ran towards the two, pushed Dukaryn back and held his sword up, blocking Avaryn’s attack.

     Dukaryn stared in shock and his lack of focus resulted in his return to his normal state. 

     He was almost killed just now.

     Dukaryn hated to admit it but if Seliaryn hadn’t stepped in, he would have died. 

     But in the three seconds that all of this had happened, everyone was too busy with each other to notice that Avaryn’s plan had already failed.

     “Nice try.” They heard Lord Roviaryn’s deep, calm voice say.

     Avaryn jumped away from Seliaryn immediately and when he turned to look at Meenu, he saw that she was now being held back by Roviaryn, a knife touching the skin of her neck, right where her artery would have been.

     Light and Heart faced Roviaryn, poised to attack.

     “Stop!” Avaryn shouted to the two warriors. They may be strong, but Lord Roviaryn was stronger. Avaryn was sure of it. 

     “Send these two away.” The Lord said. “Before I deal with them myself.”

     Avaryn gave the two warriors a look. They hesitated, but retreated, disappearing in a second. 

     “Did you really believe that a trick like that would work on us?” Lord Roviaryn asked. “If you did, that was quite foolish of you.”

     Avaryn didn’t think it was going to work. But it was worth a try. At least Meenu was still safe. “Lord Roviaryn… I should have figured you had some role to play in this.”

     Lord Roviaryn didn’t say anything to that.

     “But this seems unlike you. The use of a hostage? That’s not your style.”

     The Lord just blinked. “Sometimes I need to force myself to conduct such a low move. If that’s what it takes to protect my nation.”

     Avaryn frowned.

     “Avaryn of the Lumynos… you are a criminal and a criminal like you must be punished, whatever it takes,” the Lord said, “And your punishment has been calculated to be death, so our plan is for you to die today.”

     Meenu tried to fight the Lord’s grasp. “You can’t!” She yelled. But there was no use, this man was way too strong.

     “Listen to me, Avaryn. If you are the same boy that I knew years ago then you would have greatly respected your father’s opinion of you. And we both know that if your father was alive and he saw the damage you have done, he would want you executed too. Even if you were his son.”