Bloody Noses and Ice Cream (Bonus) (edited)

Start from the beginning

We enjoyed our breakfast-lunch together on the couch since the kitchen table was covered with all of the possible surrogate profiles we could choose from. We'd narrowed it down to eight suitable women but nothing was final. We'd run the idea by the kids and Addison was super excited about the idea of being an older brother to even more kids while Azzy was hoping she got a sister to play dolls with. It was really heartwarming to have the kids' approval.

Once we were done, we brushed our teeth and showered together, of course sharing a few kisses and soft touches here and there before we dried off, got dressed, and made our way to our shared office so that we could work side by side like we had been since I was a freshman in college.

"So what's on the agenda for today?" I asked as I opened up my writing program and Madison logged onto his computer.

"Nothing much," he said as he put on his adorable glasses. "Today I have a client who gave me a beta version of their system and now I have to try to hack into it and patch it up."

"Sounds fun," I said.

"Hacking, yes. Fixing, no."

I chuckled as I opened my most recent story and let it load. We worked in a comfortable silence until the house phone rang. Madison answered it. "Hello...he what?..." as he listened he shook his head and took off his glasses.

"Madison, what's–"

"I don't understand why he'd do it unprovoked...I know, but I know my son..." He let out a defeated sigh. "Alright, alright. We'll be there soon so we can talk this out...ok, bye."

He cursed as he hung up the phone. "Addison got in a fight so bad they're talking about suspension."

"What?" I asked, disbelief evident in my voice. "Addison has never–"

"Gotten violent? I know. It's crazy, but we have to head down there."

I sighed and shut my computer before we headed to our room, got redressed, and headed out.

Addi's school was super close, so we were there within ten minutes and we were directed to the principal's office where Addison was sitting with a pout on his face. He was a bit red above his right eyebrow and his knuckles were red with irritation.

"Addi, are you okay?" I asked as I hurried over and gave him a once over, completely ignoring the principal.

"Yeah, dad. I'm okay," he said, though he wouldn't meet my eyes.

"Hey, look at me when I'm talking to you," I said, causing him to slowly drag his attention to me. He looked ashamed. "Why did you fight with another kid? You know that's not okay, Addison."

"I know dad, but I couldn't let him get away with saying mean things about you."

"What mean things, Addison? No words justify violence, especially not when it's about us. We can handle it," Madison interjected.

"That's what I called you in to talk about," Principal Warren finally spoke. "Please, sit." We sat on either side of Addison who was looking down at his red knuckles.

"Now, Addison. Tell your fathers what you told me," he instructed, causing Addison to sigh before he looked up.

"Well..." he said, kind of soft.

"Speak up, Addison," Madison demanded. "Sit up and look at us when you're talking. Stop acting like you don't know manners." I placed a hand on Madison's knee, silently telling him to slow down a bit. Addison was probably scared. It was his first altercation ever and I wanted to know why, but I didn't want him to be scared.