VI. Forced Dates (edited)

I stared at the clock, silently willing it to move faster. I was in the final period of the day and all I wanted was to go home and work on my creative writing assignment. I didn't have work again until tomorrow and I had no homework to do, which was extremely rare.

I continued sketching in my notebook, vaguely listening to the teacher as she droned on about the subject. It wasn't like I really needed to pay attention. History had been my best subject ever since middle school and it didn't take much focus to know that most wars could've been avoided or that America, among other countries, had a bad tendency to oppress minorities and immigrants. The very thought made my insides crawl. Beating someone down because they don't fit your definition of perfect or civilized, yet you could beat, enslave, and cheat them but you'd still be considered a model citizen?

Please.

I glanced at the clock once more. Only three more minutes left, but I couldn't make a move to pack up or the teacher will keep me three minutes extra. I sighed and continued sketching, satisfied with its somewhat mediocre appearance.

It seemed like forever and a day until I heard the sound of my beloved bell. I quickly shoved all my papers and books into my bag, not caring if they tore or folded. I needed to escape. "Hey, Noah," a gentle feminine voice called as I felt a soft tap on my shoulder just as my car came into my view. Oh, I knew it was too good to be true. Nevertheless, I slowly turned and was greeted by the smiling face of Ellie, the captain of the school's girl soccer team.

I smiled. "Hey, El," I greeted as I slung my arm over her small shoulders. We'd known each other since we were in fifth grade and even though we've known each other for what feels like forever, she never once made a move on me which I was eternally grateful for. Even though she wasn't one of my best friends, she'd definitely been around for important moments in my life.

"So, I know a million people have already asked you this and I'm sorry, but Anthony and his brother want to know if you're going to be at the party on Sunday. He's found a wicked abandoned house and Candice has some amazing decoration ideas. It's going to be awesome. Glow in the dark body paint," she said as we crossed the street before her eyes quickly scanned the scene, "bottomless booze, and I know you've always been a sucker for a good keg stand."

"Ah, you know me too well," I laughed as well as we made it to my car. "Tell Anthony to stay on his toes. I'm a mystery man. If I come, I come. If I don't, your loss."

"Oh whatever, Bruno!" she laughed as she gently pushed me off, causing me to chuckle as my body lightly came into contact with my car door. "Okay, I'll see you later and you better come through!" she called over her shoulder as she made her way back to the school to undoubtedly get ready for practice.

"No promises!" I responded in a sing-song voice as I slide into my car, seeing her stealthy flip me off in my rearview mirror.

Classic Ellie.

I drove home, threw a quick "hey" at Nona, then I hurried into my room where I quickly stripped down to my boxers–I wrote better when I was 95% naked–and hopped onto my computer. My creative juices picking up where they left off as the melodic sound of key clicks filled the air. After about forty-five minutes, the final words were put on paper.

I was finally h-

I smiled at the cliffhanger. I'd written about a girl who was slowly succumbing to death and preparing herself to face the personification of Death himself. The cliffhanger represented how in life everything suddenly ends mid-breath. Mid-smile. Mid-thought. All without warning or care for those it hurt in the process.

Not wanting to become too emo or philosophical, I made sure my document was saved before I shut my laptop. We still had two good days in class to finish the project so I could have Mr. Hill look over it and give me suggestions and constructive criticism. I placed my computer on my nightstand before I stretched out and closed my eyes, relaxing and letting the sleep that had been lingering in the back of my head to take over until I was swallowed by a peaceful darkness.