35- 'Friend-Zoned Me'

Wishing you a very happy Birthday for yesterday @RHYTHM-ROSE May this year and many more ahead bring lots of success, love, joy and laughter in your and your loved ones lives. Make your hardworking parents proud. Also, thank you for supporting my non-edited books from a very long time.

Started Typing On 18/07/2019

Chapter 35- 'Friend-Zoned Me'

Author's Pov:

At the mention of a new job Rohan's head starts to buzz with uneasiness bubbling inside him. She stood on the doorway of the bathroom, looking at Payal and ignoring Rohan with her hand clutching the phone tightly as if her life depended on it.

"They just emailed me." She speaks up after a while of staring into Payal's narrowed, barely visible eyes. "The manager. Or owner. Or whoever." Siya huffs raising her hand in the air only to later on let them fall on her sides.

"Are you going to take it up?" Payal whispers out too quietly as if she's not ready to hear the answer. She wasn't. Mary might move out of the city anytime soon if she gets married to John in the following years. Payal was starting to depend and get along with Siya. She didn't want to lose a friend.

Rohan's forehead creases just at the question. Ridicules. His eyes go on the black smartphone's bright screen. Without thinking of the consequences he takes the matter in his own hands. Literally on his own hands. Reaching out and gripping it out of her own hand he hurriedly walks to the living room to find all eyes on him.

"What the hell?" Siya shrinks out. Her voice terse.

"Are you ok, Siya?" Tara asks, standing up from his spot and slides his own phone inside his pants pocket.

She doesn't bother replying. Her whole attention was on Rohan walking out the apartment in a hurry. She couldn't afford him spotting her Shaadi.com App she'd downloaded on her phone. He'll know I'm Maya! "Roha—" She speed walks behind him.

"I need to make an urgent call but I don't have balance," he lies turning around to see everyone looking at him like he's some celebrity. Mary and Neetu gave him curious glances looking at his face and the phone in his hand. "I'll give it back to you in five minutes, Siya." Ignoring their eyes on his back, perhaps boring holes, he walks out the apartment.

Are the brothers paying her less than her usual salary? He climbs into the ladder. Standing on the terrace he looks around the busy streets of Pune with the vehicles driving by, horns getting blown. Sitting in the middle of the terrace filled with silence he crosses his knees.

He reads through her email. Once. Twice. And thrice but it didn't make sense. Too many questions erupted inside his intelligent head. Why apply somewhere else? Does she want to move out of that house, is that why she's applying for a better job?

"I bet you have more credit on your phone than I have." Siya's soft velvet voice speaks behind him. She sits beside him, hugging her knees before snatching her phone from his grasp.

"Why are you leaving?"  His voice fills up the long awaited silence. The breeze rushes past them, unlike Rohan, Siya shivers wrapping her arms around herself to protect herself from the cold air. She glances down hoping he doesn't notice her leggings still soaked.

"I'm not." She replies without thinking over her answer. There was no need to.

"Then what was that." His accusing finger points at her phone in pure hatred. His expressions were cold and distance but showed her his despise for the phone itself.