- 1.9 ugly russian

chapter nineteen!

{trigger warning: this chapter will contain memories of a suicide attempt, and thoughts of suicide. in no way is cassie's struggle being romanticized, it is simply part of her development and character. this chapter will highlight her struggle, but it could be found disturbing by many. please skip if needed. my pms are always open for anyone who needs me. I love you all so much.}

CASSIE WAS CERTAIN THAT HER LIFE HAD TURNED INTO AN ACID TRIP of some sorts. She had tried that shit before, and only then was everything so crazy. Now, instead of being on acid, she was stuck in an underground hidden Russian base where the commies were opening a gate to another dimension with disgusting looking monsters, while also having weird spells where an Upside Down Yoda talked to her in riddles. Try explaining that to someone, see how it sounds. Cassie felt utterly insane.

"The gate," she heard Dustin and Steve say, earning looks from the other two girls present. Cassie groaned, going back down the steps. Cassie wondered how much she had walked that day; surely it earned her at least a full twenty-four hours of sleep.

"I don't understand. You've seen this before?" asked Robin, making Cassie let out a sarcastic chuckle. She suddenly wished she was stuck back in the elevator, or literally anywhere else in the entire world.

Steve shook his head, "Not exactly."

"Then what exactly?"

"All you need to know is that it is bad," said Dustin, making Cassie let out a loud laugh in disagreement.

"Understatement of the century," she said, her hands going back to rub her neck. She continued to laugh. "It's like really fuckin' horrible."

"Like end-of-the-human-race" bad," agreed Dustin, Cassie snapping her fingers and pointing at her boy in agreement. Robin looked between the three, confusion written across her features, and understandably so.

"And you guys know about this, how?" asked Robin.

Steve looked as if he was about to reply, Cassie urging him on. Cassie figured at this point she deserved to know. She had seen the gate, and been with them through this whole thing so it was justifiable to tell her about everything.

"Uh, Steve, where's your Russian friend?" asked Erica before Steve could get a word out. Suddenly, alarms all around them began to sound. Cassie threw her head back and let out a loud groan. She was so over this shit. Steve quickly opened the door, seeing the soldier he had previously knocked out talking with other soldiers.

Cassie's eyes widen as the soldier pointed over to where they were, everyone's eyes following as they saw Steve. Steve slammed the door shut, running the opposite way as he urged the others to do the same.

"Let's go! Move!"

Cassie didn't even need to be told, as she was right on his heels. Steve made the mistake of running directly into a room with numbers of people. All eyes turn to them, Steve not bothering to stop as he continued to run. Cassie could hear Dustin loudly cursing the whole time, her hand finding his as she pulled him along. The last thing she needed was Dustin getting hurt.

"This way!" shouted Steve. Cassie followed without hesitation, despite knowing that Steve didn't know where the hell he was even going. They ran down a set of stairs, Steve throwing open the door to a room. Cassie ran in directly behind him.

Cassie immediately pushed the door shut once everyone was in. The storage room was surprisingly empty, but the pounding on the door never ceased. Steve moved to help the child hold the door shut, Robin following close after. The two older teens practically had Cassie pressed against the door.