-3.9 aftermath

chapter thirty-nine!

IN MOST SITUATIONS, EL WOULD HAVE been able to keep Cassie alive. If her bones had just been broken, or if she'd tried several minutes prior, Cassie Hargrove would have likely been able to live. In the end, Cassie had just lost too much blood and nothing could have saved her. It was the sad, painful tricks of the universe that killed Cassie. The blonde had spent her whole life waiting for it to end, and it never did. Then she realized she had something to live for, a family, and she died moments later. Nothing about it was fair. Nothing about it was just. Nothing about it was okay. But there was nothing to be done about it.

An ambulance arrived quicker than expected. Luckily Erica had gotten through before the entire town began dialing 911, and the first ambulance dispatched was sent to them. Cassie Hargrove was already gone. Dead on arrival, they called it. They took Cassie away in a covered gurney. Daniel, Max, and Lucas were the ones taken to the hospital, and each of them were released the same night. Each wished the same had been the case for Cassie.

Lucas had explained everything to Daniel, who believed him almost instantly after everything he'd seen. Max had been too distraught to say much of anything. The death certificate said that Cassie died from fallen debris during an earthquake. Max wanted to scream at them. Nothing that small could kill someone as strong as Cassie. Max wanted everyone to know that Cassie died a hero, saving her life. And that was the story told, that Cassie pushed Max out of the way when wooden shards fell their way. In the eyes of Hawkins, Cassie died saving her sister during an earthquake. Their friends knew so much better.

Steve, Nancy, Robin, and Dustin had arrived back at the Creel house around the same time that the ambulance did. Eddie, too, was gone.

Dustin fell to his knees, the emotional strain causing him to collapse. The girl he'd loved, the girl that a part of him would always love, was dead. Up until that moment, he believed Cassie Hargrove to be indestructible.

Nancy let out a loud cry of agony, burying her face in Steve's chest as she cried. She couldn't look at the gurney being loaded into the ambulance, the black plastic covering the beautiful Cassie Hargrove.

Robin pulled Lucas and Max into her arms, sharing their pain.

Steve simply stared, unable to move, unable to speak. Unable to believe. How could she be dead? He'd just spoken to her no more than an hour and a half ago. She couldn't be. His sister, in every way that it truly mattered. The only person to ever understand him. He'd told her not to die. How could she be dead?

Neil Hargrove was called not long after Cassie's body was taken. He left his house instantly, sobering at the words spoken to him. He met the police at the hospital, where Cassie was being taken to the morgue. She was dead. She was really dead. All of Cassie's friends were there.

Neil was hit with a gut wrenching realization that in some way, this was his fault. Maybe, if he'd been a better father, she'd have wanted to stay home during break. Cassie never seemed to want to be home, and that was on him. He'd done nothing but hurt her and push her out of his life. He'd done the same to Billy, and now both of his children were gone. He'd never felt such guilt.

"We're going to need your signature confirming that the body is that of Cassandra Hargrove," said the coroner. The hospital was crazily busy, families rushing in with injuries from the 'earthquake'. Max stood with her mother, who'd rushed straight to the hospital after being called. Lucas, Erica, Nancy, Daniel and Dustin were forced home by their parents. Steve and Robin stayed, the crestfallen look on their faces not leaving for a moment.

Neil nodded, signing the paper numbly. He knew the procedure, he'd been through it not even a year ago.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mr. Hargrove," said the man with a single nod. Neil muttered a thanks, then turned to his ex-wife and stepdaughter.