-0.9 an idiot surrounded by geniuses

chapter nine!

"You're sure that was Dart?" asked Lucas as the group wandered through the woods in the direction that the monsters had went. Cassie had gotten chilly only a few minutes through the walk, throwing on her brown sweater and letting her blonde hair flow again. Max stood next to her as the two trailed behind the rest of the group. Cassie stayed back with Max because she could feel the uneasiness radiating from the redhead. Cassie wasn't sure if it was because Max didn't know what to feel about the entire situation or because she didn't know what to feel about Lucas. Cassie could pick up on the obvious attraction between the two and was glad Max had found someone.

"Yes, he had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt," responded Dustin, the exasperation in his voice shining through. The two had been bickering on and off since they'd left the junkyard.

"But he was tiny two days ago," remarked Max, making Cassie give her a look. Was anything supposed to make sense about these things when they're monsters from an alternate dimension? Probably not. Cassie hadn't even bothered asking questions because nothing about this bizarre situation was rational.

"Well, he's already molted three times already," explained Dustin.

"Malted?"

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for more growth. Like hornworms," said Dustin, Cassie laughing at Steve for being stupider than a middle schooler. Steve wacked the back of her head, making her elbow his side.

"When is he going to molt again?"

"Probably soon. And when he does, he will be fully grown, or close to it," informed the curly haired boy. Cassie nodded to herself. Great. That's just wonderful.

"Yeah, and he's going to eat a lot more than just cats," added Steve, and Cassie raised her eyebrows. She was unaware a cat was already eaten, and for some reason that distressed her more than the idea of it eating a human.

"Wait, what? Dart ate a cat!?" shouted Lucas. Apparently he hadn't known about this either.

"No? What? No," denied Dustin, while Steve furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews."

"Steve!"

"Who's Mews?" asked Max, and Cassie remembered faintly of Dustin telling her about his cat. She grimaced. One of his pets ate the other, how wonderful.

"Its Dustin's cat," answered Steve, confirming Cassie's thoughts.

"Steve!" said Dustin, almost facepalming at the stupidity of the older boy.

"I knew it! You kept him," accused Lucas, pointing his finger at the boy. Cassie stepped back, silently pointing back and forth between the boys with a questioning look. Max pointed towards Lucas, signifying that she believed he would win this argument, and Cassie had to agree.

"N-no, no, no I-, no I- he missed me, he wanted to come home," defended Dustin, causing Cassie reach forward and pat his shoulder, giving him a cheesy grin.

"Bullshit," Lucas snapped, unconvinced by Dustin's lie. Cassie began looking around, then nudged Steve so he could get the two to stop arguing. If they wanted to follow the Demogorgon's they should be hurrying. Steve simply shrugged.

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon!"

"Oh, so now you admit it?"

"We get it boys, you're both pretty. You can compare dick sizes later, we have to go," reprimanded Cassie, seeing as Steve wasn't doing anything.