-0.8 weird fuckin' creatures

chapter eight!

Cassie had always been good at holding a grudge. She once went over six months without talking to her best friend in California until she admitted that she'd stolen her mixtape. Being petty was one of her best talents, but something about her attachment to Max made it hard for her to be mad at her. So, despite the redhead and Lucas ignoring her for an entire evening, she treated Max as if everything was okay. But only this once; she can't be so forgiving often, it would hurt her reputation.

It was later in the evening when Lucas showed up at their house. Cassie believed she'd never heard of such stupidity. Max had been sitting on her bed, trying to fix her skateboard with duct tape. Cassie was "helping", despite her definition of helping was just sitting there and making conversation. She laid on Max's bed, tossing a small toy ball up in the air and catching it as she rambled away to Max. Cassie had originally tried to read one of her comic books, but Billy's workout music was simply too distracting.

A knock on the door was heard somehow over the music, Cassie and Max sharing a look. The two assume Billy will answer the door, which was proven to be incorrect when Billy turned his musoc down and shouted at the two.

A few knocks later, Billy turns off his music and yells, "Hey! One of you guys gonna get that?!"

"Okay!" The girls respond in unison, Cassie rolling her eyes as she rolled off of Max's bed.

Lucas Sinclair was the last person who should've been at their house. He has been lucky it wasn't Billy who had answered the door, or even worse, Cassie's dad. Cassie let out a huff of surprise as she pulled Max out of the house and shuts the door behind her before Billy can see him.

"What are you doing here?" questioned Max, her normal annoyed tone laced vaguely with something that sounded like concern for the boy.

"I have proof."

"What?"

"He has proof?" muttered Cassie, before her eyes widened in realization. "Oh! He has proof."

Lucas nodded his head, pointing at Cassie in confirmation. Cassie smiled proudly to herself. Lucas turned back to Max, who still seemed lost. "Proof that what I told you was real," he paused "But we have to hurry."

"What kind of proof?"

Lucas quickly explained the situation with Dart, and how Dustin and Steve needed their help. Max's expression faintly showed interest, as if his determination helped her along the road of belief. Cassie grinned, she was enjoying the idea of being apart of something so dangerous and interesting.

Max eventually agreed, telling Lucas to wait for them outside of their window. Lucas nodded, pulling his bicycle around the side of the house. The sisters re-enter their house, Billy grabbing Cassie's arm as they tried to return to their room. Max stopped as well, turning back to face the siblings with a look of worry on her face.

It was moments like these that made Max think. Looking at the brother and sister before her, both wearing matching scowls and having aggressive posture, she couldn't help but wonder. Billy and Cassie were almost the same person. They shared their looks, their anger, their confidence. Although she would never admit it to Cassie, she'd never seen two people be so similar. Of course, Cassie wasn't racist in the slightest and she'd never be mean to anyone without reason, but sometimes the blonde scared her. Once, just a few years prior, Cassie had made a girls life miserable at school because she had made a comment about her mother. Just the summer prior, Cassie had beat up a high school freshman for trying to be too friendly with Max. Max had never seen her act with such anger. She was grateful for the girl, but the blonde had almost killed that guy. Sometimes, when she had enough time to stop and think, Max would worry that Cassie would eventually turn into her brother.