-1.7 mini cassie

chapter seventeen!

CASSIE STAYED THAT NIGHT WITH STEVE. Dustin offered to let her stay at his house, but Steve immediately shut down the idea. Cassie had planned to go home, but Steve and Dustin both insisted otherwise. It was pretty late and they didn't want her father getting angry at her. Every since the spring break situation, the two made it their mission to keep Cassie as far away from home as possible. Cassie had called home to let Max know she wouldn't be there, Max simply agreeing that it was likely a bad idea because their father was already mad at Billy.

El was staying the night with Max, and while Cassie was sad she was going to miss another girls night, she was quite happy to stay with Steve. His parents were hardly ever home and it felt more like two siblings chilling than him just letting her stay out of pity. She appreciated Steve, more than she would ever admit out loud.

The two had stayed up fairly late watching movies, both of the teenagers falling asleep on the couch about halfway through the second one. Cassie had woken up uncomfortably as she was halfway sitting up as she leaned into the corner of the couch. Steve's legs were thrown across her lap lazily while he snored from the other end. Cassie had huffed, then shoved his legs off of her before going to get ready. Cassie was glad she had finally gotten a good night of sleep, considering the past few had been quite the opposite.

Cassie was already halfway through a bowl of cereal by the time that Steve had woken up. She had taken a shower already, throwing on a pair of black loose shorts and a brown Stevie Nicks graphic tee that she had left at Steve's from one of the previous times she had stayed over. She still sported her black Vans, and had braided her hair back into a low ponytail. Steve had woken up hesitantly, still exhausted and not wanting to get up despite having work.

The boy was almost late for his shift due to this. Cassie had complained the whole way there about how slow he was, leading to Steve spending the entire car ride to the mall telling Cassie to shut up. This only irked Cassie and made her talk even more.

On their way into the mall, Cassie ran into Jack yet again. It caught the blonde by surprise, not expecting him to be there three days in a row. Cassie ushered Steve along, telling him to get to work since he was already borderline late.

"Three days in a row, Jack? Impressive," commented Cassie as the two walked around for a moment. Jack shook his head, pointing over to a group of elementary aged girls. She recognized Erica, Lucas's sister, among the crowd of girls. One had similar features to the boy next to her.

"I'm on babysitting duty today," he explained with a slight grimace. Cassie cringed for the boy, sympathizing with the boy for having to spend his day with his little sister and her several friends, "Frankie and Leah went to the skate park."

"Ah, so you're by yourself with a bunch of ten year olds, huh?" she patted his shoulder, the boy giving her a sarcastic grin in return. She let out a laugh.

"Is it bad I'm hoping you'll stay with me?" he asked with a hopeful look. Cassie raised her eyebrows at the boy, contemplating his offer before remembering the evil Russian plan she had with her other friends. She sighed, ruffling the taller boys hair.

"I would, but I'm with Dustin and Steve today," she told him, his face falling into a pouty frown. "But I'll check in on you occasionally. Can't let my new friend die of boredom already."

Jack laughed and muttered a quick thanks before having to run off to catch up with his sister who had wandered off during their brief conversation. Cassie laughed as he called out to the young girls, each and every one of them ignoring her. Cassie could see why Frankie was friends with the boy, he was pretty cool. Cassie had the feeling that she'd be hanging out with Leah and Jack more often.