-2.9 wild goose-chases suck ballsacks

chapter twenty-nine!

CASSIE UNFORTUNATELY WAS STUCK STAYING THE NIGHT at the run down diner because she refused to leave Lucas alone with a bunch of vengeance-seeking athletes with anger issues and too much testosterone. She was thankful she had packed her bag back up and stuffed it in her trunk before she left Max's, since the two didn't know how long their investigation would take. Cassie also packed because she knew the temptation to flee Hawkins was growing by the minute. She ended up changing back into the gray shirt and pair of shorts she had worn to bed the night before.

Jason had cried on her shoulder for almost an entire fifteen minutes, Lucas receiving a glare almost the entire time as Cassie awkwardly patted his back. After he had finally let go, he thanked Cassie for being there, as if she was there to support him in this tough time despite being their strictly for Lucas. She could practically see Jason growing fond of her in that short moment, his eyes wearing almost the same look as Steve's did when he grew protective of her. Cassie didn't even know how to feel about that; she'd just met the dude, but she figured in a weird way they'd just trauma bonded.

She laid on the couch with Lucas, the two laying on opposite ends. Lucas fell asleep in almost no time, the emotional and mental toll of the day being enough to knock him out. Cassie remained away, her mind too plagued by her thoughts to fall asleep. She also knew that she really didn't want to have another dream of someone dying, just for it to have actually happened.

Cassie soon learned there was no escaping it when everyone in the room just disappeared from her sight, completely suddenly. She stood up, looking around to see where everyone went. Looking beside her, Cassie realized that Lucas too was gone.

"Lucas? Where are you?" she asked. Cassie walked through the diner, searching behind the counters. "You fuckface, this isn't funny."

"Cassie?" she heard a voice from behind her say. Cassie turned around, a grin of relief and partial confusion growing on her lips at the familiar face. Cassie rushed forward.

"El? What are you doing here? Did you hear about the murder? Is Will here? Did Frankie and Mike come back too?" she asked, questions spilling from her lips faster than she could process. She shut herself up, pulling El into a hug as happy tears spilled down her face. She'd missed her so much. "God, El. I missed you."

"I missed you too, Cas," said El with a breathy sigh. "I heard about the murder. I was so worried, I didn't know who it was. I had to make sure it wasn't you."

"I'm fine, El," murmured Cassie into El's hair, holding her close. Cassie sobbed openly, likely for the first time in her life, into the embrace. "I'm okay. I'm just glad you're here. I have so much to tell you."

"Like what?" asked El, her tone turning into one of disgust. "That you love me? Why would I love you anymore, Cassie. You're the reason that Billy is dead. You're a horrible person and you know it. I could never love someone like you. You're selfish, and obnoxious, and rude."

"No, El- what?"

"You're a bully, Cassie. A monster. The same kind that we try and stop," spat El as she pulled back from the hug, holding Cassie in place by her shoulders. The tears that were once happy now faded into ones of hurt as she stared into the eyes of her best friend.

"What? No, no," said Cassie, shaking her head.

"You've been so worried that we would see the real you," continued El, the scowl and hatred growing on her face. "You were worried that we would see how horrible you are. You're just like your father, Cassie. You're living up that Hargrove name, just like you always knew you would. Just like you always feared."