-3.1 what even is happening?

chapter thirty-one!

CASSIE LOVED TO ARGUE WITH STEVE. It was like a special talent of hers to get on his nerves to the point his face turns bright red and veins pop out in his forehead. She always found it amusing, and this time was no exception. Max insisted on taking a little field trip, one that Steve automatically shut down. Max was going to leave with or without him, and Cassie loved to egg on his frustration. It was such an amazing source of happiness in the midst of everything horrible happening.

"Max. Max, seriously," called Steve as he followed Max out of the Wheelers basement. Dustin and Lucas were behind him, and Cassie was already headed to her car, ready to take Max if Steve wouldn't. "Seriously, I'm not joking. I'm not driving you anywhere."

"Oh, but I will Stevie-poo."

"No, Cas, you won't."

"Steve, if you think I am going to spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike, Wheelers basement, then you're out of your mind," argued Max, making Cassie nod rapidly in agreement. "So, either take me where I need to go, or you're going to have to tie me down. Which is technically kidnapping a minor. And if I live to see another day, Steve, I swear to god, I will prosecute."

Max stopped at Steve's car, pulling on the doorhandle. The door didn't budge, and Cassie almost laughed at the look on Max's face when she looked back up to Steve. "Open the door."

"Yeah, Stevie. Open the door."

"Uh, no," replied Steve in disbelief.

"I know a good lawyer," said Max, her expression not changing. Cassie nodded along, backing her up. She wasn't aware of any lawyer besides the one the blonde had in California when she hit a kid across the head with a textbook and almost got put on probation. Cassie wouldn't exactly call him a good lawyer, he was more mediocre at best.

Steve must have bought into this, however, because he scoffed as he pulled the keys out of his pocket and unlocked the door. He looked over at the car and to Dustin, "Henderson, that super walkie of yours better reach Pennhurst."

Dustin nodded as he climbed into the backseat, Lucas beside him in the middle with Max on the far left. Cassie was grateful she was stuck in the front seat, but already missed her car. Riding in something besides her beautiful Mustang felt like a betrayal.

The only conversation made the entire ride was Max telling Steve where to go, and him and Cassie arguing over the radio. Cassie didn't even mind the music being played on the radio, she just loved to see the agitated look on Steve's face as he slapped at her hands for touching the controls. Cassie felt even more accomplished when she heard Max let out a small chuckle from the back.

Steve was just ready to get Cassie out of his car by the time that he arrived at the trailer. Cassie was thrown around in her seat as Steve sped into the driveway before stopping abruptly. Steve didn't bother turning around as he put the car and park, "All right, this better be fast Mayfield."

"Twenty seconds," muttered Max as she climbed out of the car.

Steve turned around and looked to Dustin, who held the walkie like it was his child. "That things got batteries in it, right?"

Cassie snorted. Dustin looked at him in bewilderment, shaking his head lightly, "I'm not even going to answer that question," he told him. Steve gave him an annoyed look, turning back around in his seat with a huff. Dustin rolled his eyes, "Yes, it has batteries."

"Yeah, I got it."

Cassie leaned back in her seat, slouching slightly as she tapped her fingers on her denim pants. It had been more than twenty seconds already, and Cassie wanted to jump out of the car already and find her sister. Steve looked over at her, annoyed by the tapping. Cassie ignored him.