-1.8 to the depths of hell

chapter eighteen!

CASSIE DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER TO THROW UP, SCREAM, OR CHEER as the room fell for what felt like minutes. Cassie had fallen to the ground the second they had started falling, but had pulled herself up and was being held tightly to Steve's chest. The older boy's instinct was to save Cassie above everyone, but he also knew he was holding onto her for his own comfort.

"We're going down! We're going down!"

"Yeah, no shit, Harrington!"

Cassie pulled herself from Steve's grasp, letting the older boy know that she had found her balance. As soon as she moved, the room came to an abrupt stop. Cassie decided she just needed to stop moving. She was thrown a few feet, landing harshly on her back and a box fell on top of her.

"My groin!" groaned Steve, and Cassie figured it would be only slightly better if she had stayed with him. At least she would have had something to cushion her fall. "It fell on my groin. Get this off me!"

Dustin noticed Cassie trying to push the box off of herself while attempting to help Steve. He let the box fall back on top of Steve, causing him to let out a yell that was partially from pain and partially from annoyance. Before he could move to assist Cassie, Robin had already began to do so. He reluctantly turned back to help a frustrated Steve.

"Is everyone okay?" asked Robin as she pulled Cassie off the floor.

"Yeah, I'm great now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" complained Steve, making his way over to the button panel and pressing each button several times. Cassie rolled her eyes, her arms crossed over her chest.

"We've clearly established that the buttons don't work."

"They're buttons! They have to do something!"

"Yeah, if we had a key-card."

"What?"

"It's a electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a card, it won't operate. meaning..." trailed off Robin, Cassie letting out a loud groan in complaint. There went her exciting plans to get some comfort and sleep. Instead, she was stuck in a Russian elevator with no way out besides getting caught by Russians and likely shot.

"We're stuck down here."

"Well that's just fuckin' amazing," grinned Cassie in sarcasm. "Can cross 'being stuck in a hidden Russian elevator' off the bucket list. Lucky me!"

Erica stepped forward, her hand on her hip, "Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if I'm not home for Uncle Jack's party tomorrow, and my mom finds out that you four are responsible? She's going to hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throats."

Cassie snorted.

Steve, on the other hand, does not find it funny. "I don't care about Tina! Or Uncle Jack's party! Your mom isn't going to be able to find us if we are dead in a Russian elevator!"

Dustin looked up, noticing a hatch on the top. "Hey, what if we climb out?"

Cassie figured that was stupid considering it felt like they were falling for minutes on end, but she helped assist in stacking the boxes u ap to build makeshift stairs. She was the first to climb up, letting out a groan as Dustin and Steve follow behind her.