-1.4 okay, what the hell?

chapter fourteen!

DUSTIN WAS THRILLED to have intercepted a Russian communication. He had recorded and was over-the-moon about the discovery, washing away most of his concerns about his friends ditching him. Dustin had insisted on walking Cassie home, but the blonde insisted that she was an independent badass and could handle herself. Dustin didn't argue anymore after that. Cassie didn't return home that night, instead staying at Steve's. It was a longer walk, but Cassie enjoyed the comfort of her best friend over her brother and father any day. Steve grew concerned when he noticed the dark bags under Cassie's eyes the next morning. She brushed him off and quickly climbed his car.

She planned on meeting Dustin at he mall, considering he had mentioned his excitement for seeing Steve the next day. She had failed to inform Max that she wasn't coming home, resulting in the redhead assuming she was at Steve's and thinking nothing else of it.

Cassie found herself in the back room of the Scoops Ahoy ice cream shop, slumped over in one of the chairs with her feet resting on the other, fast asleep. She was rather rudely awakened by Steve throwing the door open and leaving the room, then proceeding to yell for god-knows what reason. Cassie sleepily stood up and made her way towards the door, her already messy french braids being messed up slightly more with hairs sticking out comedically in random places. She wore light denim shorts and a short sleeve navy button up with white specs for stars. Her black Vans were messily tied and she wore shin-high white socks, and a dark blue bandana tied around her head.

Peering outside and into Scoops Ahoy, she was surprised to be met with Dustin and Steve's elaborate handshake. She almost facepalmed at how dorky they looked, but found it slightly adorable in a cringey way. She shared a look with Robin, Steve's coworker. Cassie knew Robin from her constant visits to see Steve at work, and the two often teamed up to tease Steve. Robin then looked back at Steve, eyebrows raised in questioning.

"How many children are you friends with?"

Steve said nothing in return, just paused before nodding.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Cassie sat beside Dustin as he told Steve all about his time at camp. Cassie couldn't help but scowl at  how much he talked about Suzie. Oh, she was pretty. Oh, she was smart. Oh, she lived in Utah. Oh, she was just so amazing. Her hand gripped her spoon tightly as she took bites from her strawberry ice cream. Robin raised her eyebrows at the blonde from the register, Cassie only giving her a sarcastic grin back.

"Wait, so you made three friends? A full three? In less than a month?" asked Steve, his eyebrows raised in skepticism.

Cassie stood up, suddenly feeling sick. The boys turned to look at her, and Cassie smiled, "I'll be back, I'm gonna go take a walk."

Dustin nodded believingly, but Steve felt concerned for his friend. Dustin hadn't been around in a month, but Cassie was beginning to look pale by the time she excused herself. Anyone could see that, and he wasn't sure of why Dustin didn't.

Cassie speedily walked through the mall and into the nearest bathroom. Girls were crowded around the mirror, gossiping about everything in the world. None noticed as Cassie stopped at the entrance of the restroom, pausing at the large group of people. She turned around and quickly found a single bathroom near the escalator. She threw the door open, not waiting for the click of the door to shut before rushing towards the toilet and kneeling over it. Cassie emptied her stomach's content as burning tears escaped her eyes.

Cassie couldn't figure out why she was sick. She had taken her medicine on time every single day. She had taken it earlier in the morning, so that couldn't be the reason. She thought back on the past day, trying to remember anything she could have eaten that would have made her sick, but nothing came to mind. She wiped her mouth with toilet paper and flushed the toilet, going over to the sink and washing her hands off. Looking up in the mirror, Cassie jumped at the sight she saw.