Of Suns and Spirits by riamcyriac

Final Total: 6 (we're opening the book and starting to read. . .)

Reader 1:

Cover: 2.5 /4 The cover has definite Asian movie poster vibes. Looks like something with martial arts in it somewhere. The colours used are attractive and eye-catching, although it it hard to discern exactly what the main graphic is actually depicting. For my taste, the title is a bit too large, and should be reduced just a smidgen so we can see more of what's behind the letters. Everything else is fine.

Title: 2/2 Not bad. A nice S alliteration and the syllables work well together.

Blurb: 2/4

We've seen hundreds of stories about competitions like this, and even movies and TV series. The idea is very familiar, so something new needs to be done with it. And that's not just a different name, location or 'prizes'.

Why on earth (or spirit or dark) would anybody want to take part in such a contest? And how would they be chosen? You give us the three main characters and a bit about the background, which is good, but it's unclear how those backgrounds make them want to risk their lives for commerce and travel! What are these Blood Battles really about and why do they have to happen?  Once again -- this idea is so old, you're going to have to try harder to get people in the door who aren't just out for a ring-side seat on fight night.

I'd suggest to you starting with your three contestants, and then tell us how they hope to make it in to this deadly game, and what is really at stake for those organising the battles. People sign up for some serious abuse that looks utter foolish / suicidal from the outside. So, it's believable that someone would, but you'll have to give us a why for us not to just think you've spotlighting 3 kamikazes.

Long story, short: there's not enough info here to set it aside from any other similar story.

Total: 6.5 (I'm interested in opening the book)

Reader 2:

Cover: 4/4 Ok, so I love this cover. Everything from the color choices to the artwork. It's got a dark anime feel that works well with the blurb.

Title: 1/2 I'm not sure what 'suns' have to do with your story... and it's not anywhere in the title. Spirits I get. Suns... it just has that alliteration thing going on. That's all I can think is connecting it to anything. Either tie 'suns' to the blurb, or find something else that can relate more easily to your story.

Blurb: 1/4 So... this is Hunger Games meets Deathrace... And the entire plot is centered around them killing each other... I have to say, this probably isn't a book I would personally read, but it's not too far of a stretch to think it has an audience out there somewhere. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more on the actual plot, though. We've got setting, MCs, but no real inciting incident, and while there are stakes mentioned, it's not clear what they really are. Then there's no question of the resolution. What's going to happen if one of them wins? If the Earth wins, is that good or bad? How about the Spirit, or the Dark? Are any of them fighting against something? Also, none of your fighters are paired up with a realm. I don't know who is fighting for whom, and I don't have anyone to root for.

Total: 6 (I've picked up your book)

Reader 3:

Cover: 2.5/4  Firstly, let me say I really like your choice of colour. The orange works really nicely with the illustration behind it, in my opinion, and very well with the greys. The title could have maybe been a bit darker, more similar to the orange of the sun, but other than that, lovely.

What doesn't work for me is how squished the title is, a bit too close to the edges of the cover, and the same with the authors name, which could do with being higher so it doesn't get cut off. Also, the fact that only the tagline (Victory has a price) has a drop shadow is a bit strange and doesn't work with the rest of the cover that well.

Title: 2/2 Works well.

Blurb: 1/4  If the Blood Battles only happen once every century, then how are they a competition of a lifetime? Whose lifetime?

With the second paragraph I would suggest introducing the Realms first, so when you speak of how "Each Realm is eager to..." do something it makes a bit more sense. Also, this could do with a tad more information. I am confused by why or how sending your "very best" to their death would give you the power to control "the currents" (what do you mean?) of travel, commerce or legislature.

When you introduce your characters, you do well showing us their pasts but not that well on the stakes. I understand that if they lose, they die, but what happens if they win? Also, it might be worth pointing out if the book follows them all separately, sort of Game of Thrones/Lord of The Rings style, or if they are intertwined. These are two very different ways of writing, and each will have a different group of readers interested.

Total: 5.5 (I've put the book back on the shelf)