34. Better

❝ better ❞

The long-awaited day had almost arrived and it was tomorrow. Right now, Jihyun was in a farewell party thrown by Jaewoon and a few other batch mates, who were kinda close to him. It was small, yet the rooftop venue looked expensive.

The cake had been already cut and they were chilling there. "You didn't have to do this—" "Shut up, " Jaewoon quieted her down which undoubtedly didn't even last a minute.

"But I'm scared, " she talked, under her breath, to herself but Jaewoon, unfortunately, heard the mumble. "Are you still thinking about the dream from a week ago?" he asked, irritated.

It led her to feel uneasy, he guessed it right. "I had a similar one last night, " she nervously complained about it.

"You were definitely thinking about that thing before sleep to have the similar dream again. It happens. Just stop overthinking about it, " his words somehow assured her since he was right, she had been overthinking a lot lately.

"And yeah, don't forget about me after going back to Korea. I've always wanted to go to my mom's home country and will visit soon, " he aimed to change the subject. "You're always welcome there, " she smiled.

The sweet conversation between two friends got interrupted by a pretty boy. "Can I have a dance with you?" It was for Jaewoon from his admirer who was also invited. "Jaewoon, " Jihyun passed him at teasing look, slightly pushed him, hinting him to accept, and he did.

Alone, she watched them dance. The soon to be a couple, at least from what she saw, looked cute together. At the moment, she remembered something was missing in her hand after a long time. "My purse, " it was nowhere around.

In search of it, she walked back inside and found it on the couch where she sat earlier. The vibration could be felt which eventually stopped. She opened and checked her phone only to see, "Twenty-seven missed calls?"

All of those missed video calls were from Jungkook and she immediately called back. Two rings and his face popped on the screen, having a huge smile appear on her face. She was happy.

The first question he asked was, "where are you?" with a straight face. Of course, he would be pissed after that. "I missed you, " were the words she blurted out, but he still looked angry.

"I'm with my friends. I'm sorry, I was away from the phone," she immediately apologized, expecting him to at least smile, but he didn't. "This late? And is that Samuel guy there?" he didn't bother answering her question and threw his own.

"Yes, " she nodded nervously.

The network was a bit off, but his facial expression could be read on the screen and he was not so amused by that answer. Maybe she should have lied. "You look beautiful with the make-up on, like always. Have fun with your friends, " his face disappeared from the screen in no time.

"You called me for this? I hope not."

Assuming the line got cut off due to disturbances in the network, she called him back several times but ended up in disappointment. "I think you should quit. He probably won't pick up, " that voice scared her.

"Samuel?"

"Were you eavesdropping?" she looked at him in disbelief and, giving him a disgusted look, headed back to the terrace.

Surely, she knew Jungkook was mad but still kept on trying and it all went on waste. "I'm coming back tomorrow and now this? Is it even worth to tell you about it? I don't think so, " she sighed.

"Don't cry. Don't cry. Not now."

Roaming her eyes around, she finally found the person who would give her a shoulder to rant. "Jae, " she ran off to him. "I don't think we're going to last any longer this way. Maybe I should end things with him after I go back, " she did all she could to act like she was okay.

"What happened again? And no, don't rush things up. Try and clear misunderstandings first. Tell him how you feel about this and watch if he puts any kind of effort to make you stay. If he doesn't, he is not worth it, " and those golden words led to a tiny bit of relaxation in her.

"Do you need some time alone?" he was handling this quite well. "Yeah, " she nodded and he gave her space to be with herself.

Nervous. Worried. Scared.

All of these mixed emotions made her restless and the alone time helped her think wisely about the words Jaewoon said.

"I wasn't eavesdropping. I just happen to be there and heard your conversation with him, " this guy again. She simply ignored his presence and looked in the opposite direction.

It made him sigh. "I'm annoying you, right?" he asked an obvious question. "It's none of my business and I'm not going to come off saying that I can treat you better and all, " he started.

A few steps around her and he was right in front of her. "Just wanted to remind you this, " he slightly bent his knees to look at her face that was looking towards her feet and left a light kiss right above her left jaw.

"You deserve to be treated better."

•••

Maybe 5-6 chapters are left (excluding the epilogue plus some bonus chapters). I'll continue updating 'FAME' and 'LAST' after finishing this book.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for staying and I hope to have the same support till the end❤