23 | Flashback: Todoroki's Heart

Happy New Year's everyone!! It's still 2019 here for the next two hours, but I'm excited for the new year! Hope you enjoy the long overdue present (has it really been five months??), and let's all hope that 2020 allows me to update and not lose my willpower to write chapters, and almost drop this story completely because of lack of motivation. I found it, eventually, but it was a close call. You all seem to love it, though, so the updates will keep on coming no matter what (even if they may be weeks apart) until this story has a proper conclusion. :')

This chapter takes place at the Todoroki's house, after Shouto dropped you back home in chapter 20 by the way (after you guys visited Rei). The first flashback takes place somewhere during chapter 12 ("What I Want To Be"), the next one happening before the reader wakes up in chapter 15 ("Starting to Go Downhill"), and the last one happens towards the end of chapter 19 ("Be Wherever You Are").

Thank you for all the support, and I hope your 2020 is full of joy!!
~yeehaw bro

• • • • •

"Shouto. I'm going to ask you a question, and I want you to be honest with me."

The said male avoided looking his father straight in the eye and continued gazing at the wall behind him, sensing that his evening was about to take a turn for the worst. Shouto had just gotten home from visiting his mother with his best friend, and his heart was still pounding against his rib cage. Why he had kissed her hand after walking her up to the front door, he couldn't say, but it felt like this kind of urge... An urge that he had to fulfill.

But you do know, he told himself, thinking back to the conclusion that he came to not too long ago. Don't you?

Squinting upon not receiving any reaction, Endeavor sighed, brows furrowing, and got straight to the point.

"Do you love her? That (Y/N) (L/N) girl?"

If he asked yesterday, Todoroki wouldn't be able to answer the question at first. He knew that he had a crush on her—Aizawa and some of his classmates had helped him figure out that much, at least—but he wasn't sure if it was intense enough to the point of being love. He didn't exactly have positive examples of love to reference off of, either, which begged the question.

Did he?

After thinking back to three certain events, he had his answer.

• • • • •

Laughing, (Y/N) flopped back on the bed with a bright grin, tears welling up in her eyes as Shouto finished his story, glowing bright with joy. That duck laugh alone caused his face to break into a cheeky grin, being one of his favorite parts about the girl. Warm blankets and fluffed up pillows were strewn all over her bedroom floor, being the result of a rather intense pillow fight minutes before. On her bedside table sat two cans of soda and a bag of potato chips, it being nearly empty.

It was the night of their first sleepover, occurring a few days after the Sports Festival.

Calming down from her fit of hysterics, (Y/N) heaved a few more sighs before rolling onto her stomach, peering over the side of her bed towards her best friend, who was sprawled on the floor. Meeting her gaze, Shouto felt his heart skip a beat when her face relaxed into a lazy smile, eyelids drooping as a wave of exhaustion washed over her.