00 | The Crow

[ PROLOGUE . . . ]
the crow
trigger warning(s) : animal death, description of an animal corpse.

[ GUIDE . . . ]
(Y/N) — Your Name
(L/N) — Last Name

 ](Y/N) — Your Name(L/N) — Last Name

What a wonderful way to start the day

Not.

One of the most annoying things in the world is waking up from a good dream just because that bird outside your window wouldn't shut up. It absolutely destroyed (Y/N)'s patience. How could a three-year-old hold such a strong grudge to such a small animal?

Simple. It woke her up at the ungodly hour of 4 in the morning.

You buried your head under the fluffy sheets, hoping to block out the crow's crowing. No matter what you did, it just wouldn't shut up, and now, you were getting mad. Deciding to take matters into your own tiny hands, you slid out of bed and marched to the window with purpose, not bothering to conceal your yawn. Once you were finished, you threw open the window, staring at the bird for three seconds. Gathering what you wanted to say in that time frame, you opened your tiny mouth and told the bird off.

Or, you tried to, you really did. It just wasn't listening. That's probably because as soon as you opened your mouth, the crow fell off of the branch it was standing on and hit the pavement outside.

If you were any other kid, you would've been really confused and might have gone to investigate. However, you're not that kid. Instead, you prided yourself on scaring the crow so bad that it fell. You hadn't seen it hit the ground; you just assumed that it flew away.

That's right, crow, you thought as you partly shut the blinds, wanting to further enjoy the cool night air.
...Think twice before messing with me!

Just thankful that the crow had stopped being so loud, you headed back to your bed, and fell back asleep. Of course, you had to get some rest, because the following morning wouldn't be pleasant for a sleepy child to deal with.

Now let's skip to when the sun finally rises and you wake up yourself. You're still proud about your win over the crow. (Y/N) - 1, crow - 0.

As you headed down the stairs, you were met with an open door and your confused guardians standing outside. They weren't really your parents—not biologically, at least. Your dad couldn't take care of you for certain reasons unknown to you, and your mother... Well, sorry, but your mom is dead. She went out just like a pro hero should, and kept fighting until the end.

Heading out to join your guardians, you found them crouching besides a crow. It was the same exact crow that you had scared!

"Oh, (Y/N), you're awake!" shouted your adoptive mother, Kasumi (L/N), as she stood rather quickly, short pale blue hair briefly swishing in front of her eyes. She held her arms out and started nudging you back inside, gray eyes twinkling with worry. "I'm sorry, honey, I didn't know you were awake. I apologize if we were too loud."

"It's fine," you replied as you tried to look past her, cursing your three-year-old shortness. "What's going on?"

Your adoptive father, Jobon (L/N), was a little more blunt, which you liked more often than not. "We found a crow just lying on the pavement." The curly-haired blonde turned to his wife, eyeing her with his soft brown eyes. His look told her to let their daughter go.

Reluctantly, Kasumi let you go, so you were free to examine the crow. Just a note: you hadn't looked directly at any of them yet.

As you crouched besides Jobon, you got a good look at the black bird, which you discovered was female. Her feathers were ruffled, and a pool of dried blood was beneath it; a long cut that reached from her left shoulder, over her stomach, and to her right leg was the cause of it. Her dark eyes were wide open, no life pulsing beneath them. Maggots and other insects had started crawling on top of her as well.

Before you could say anything, Jobon stated the obvious. "It's dead."

"B-but, it— no, she can't be!" you shrieked, seeing the two flinch at your volume. "All I did was look at her!"

"What do you mean?" At once, Kasumi's attention was grabbed, and she joined the two on the ground. "When did this happen?"

"At night." Your mind was racing. Had you been responsible for this crow's death? "She woke me up. She was so loud! She wouldn't stop, so I opened the window. I looked at her and she fell right before I said anything, but I— I never touched her! I don't..."

You were too ashamed to face either of them, so you just watched as the maggots slowly tore away at the female crow's skin. What made you feel worse was the thought that this crow might have been a mother, and now her chicks may die, all because of you.

Jobon noticed your change in mood and snapped you out of your thoughts by wrapping his left arm around you. You brushed it off, however, because you were afraid that you were going to hurt him, too. Frowning, he asked, "How long did you stare at it?"

"I dunno. I wasn't counting. Five seconds?"

So, you went to a doctor. Pretty quickly, the pair realized that a pair of your old sunglasses blocked the effects of your potential Quirk. When you got back outside, none of you realized that the crow had disappeared, only leaving a tail feather next to the pool of blood. However, you were all feeling stressed, so you didn't pay much attention to it. You didn't dare take off the glasses, even when the doctor had asked so that he could check your eyesight.

Next came the dreadful words that you would never forget:

"It's her Quirk alright."

hello, and welcome to scabulous!! i'm the author, but you can just call me shay haha :] i started writing this fic when i was 12 years old, and now as of august 2022, i'm going back and fixing a few things up grammar-wise ( and also editing a few ...

hello, and welcome to scabulous!! i'm the author, but you can just call me shay haha :] i started writing this fic when i was 12 years old, and now as of august 2022, i'm going back and fixing a few things up grammar-wise ( and also editing a few things that were worded in a confusing manner ), but the overall plot is staying the exact same, as is 95% of the writing! i hope you enjoy your stay <3

p.s. don't be a ghost reader!! i love comments, so feel free to spill your thoughts :] however, do note that toxic comments, overly sexual comments (esp towards minors), and triggering comments WILL be deleted!! thank you 🤧💕