Chapter 17: Westward, Ho!

Melanie woke up around seven am, stretching out her sore limbs. The soft mattress helped her slumber, the sunlight though was blinding her. Molly was awake, dressed and scrolling on her phone.

"Mel, come on, let's get to the gas station," Molly told Melanie.

"You go, I'll keep watch on the car just in case someone tries to strip it or steal it," Melanie suggested, covering herself in a tent of the blanket.

"No, come on. It's time." Molly pulled it off. Melanie huffed and groaned.

"Ugh, fine." Agreeing to it, Melanie lazily got up from the bed.

Both headed downstairs to meet with Muffy, Molly got the empty container for the gas, sitting in the front with Muffy. Melanie sat in the back. Scrolling through her twitter feed. Hmm, Two new followers. She switched to her Facebook app. Friends were posting pics of their warm vacations at the beach, Australia and New Zealand atmosphere. Melanie and Molly's old friend from high school, Dexter, was in Poland for the year long Linguists program, the picture was of him standing next to some locals in front of an old building, smiling widely and the caption read loving the environment here.

"Be right back!" Molly announced, exiting the car.

"Get some gummy bears!" Melanie shouted, Molly ignored her, entering the station.

Melanie shook her head. Scrolling down more on her newsfeed, her other friend Rosalie picture popped up, showing off her arm covered in ink, located in New York. Her status read: new tattoo, cheap price.

Liking the post, she continued to scroll the news feed. Her sister-in-law once had a phoenix tattoo. It cost about $200; It was a big orange one on her back. Melanie wanted one on her hip or her stomach.

"So, you two are travelling the whole week?" Muffy asked, turning her intact body to Melanie.

"Yep," Melanie answered.

"Cool." Both of them fell into an awkward silence, Muffy drummed her fingers on the dashboard.

"What about you, any plans for the rest of the week?" Melanie questioned, scratching an itch on her ankle.

"Not much, just sleep in."

"I envy you, that's the dream." Muffy giggled. Molly came back after filling the tank and gas tub, throwing a bag of gummy bears to Melanie's side.

"Thank you." She smiled.

"Hmm," Molly grunted, she handed one to Muffy, she said no thanks.

"I'll drive when we get back," Melanie said.

"Thank God." Molly looked back in a playful manner, eating her own gummy bears.

"Ha ha." As Muffy drove, the radio played a podcast, Melanie watched the view, stuffing her mouth with the candy while Molly stared at her phone. Cole called. Four times.

"Ugh," she muttered to herself, pocketing her phone. Leave me alone.

"Muffy, thank you so much for taking me to the gas station this early. You do not know how grateful we are," Molly said, elated when they got back to the sorority house.

Melanie nodded in agreement, "Seriously Muffy, Thanks. It really means a lot."

"It's no problem. Thank you, for coming to the party and celebrating my 'sacrifice'," she giggled, making air quotes with her fingers. Molly and Melanie chuckled. The girls went up to get their things. They stuffed their bags in the trunk, Melanie stretched her arms over her head.

"Have a pleasant trip and good luck with everything," Muffy smiled wildly, meeting them by the car.

"Thanks, keep in touch!" Molly responded, thanking her again. The girls all hugged each other, saying bye as she went inside. Molly opened the gas tank, filling it up halfway.

"We might have to ration it in case of emergencies." Molly said, shaking the tub a bit.

"That's fine, on to the next," Melanie told her, going to the driver's side. Molly went into the passenger's side. Turning on the ignition, she drove off. Passing by the house and more houses.

"Westward, Ho!" Melanie announced.

"You found land?" Molly questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Technically, and your ex-boyfriend," Melanie answered.

"Huh?" Melanie pointed, Molly lifted her body. It was his car that was passing by them. His Toyota. Cole's eyes were on the road, arguing with Matt. "Oh. My God." Molly's heart raced. Is he following us?

Melanie pressed on the pedal, as quickly as they could, speeding past them.