Chapter 1: It's Onward and Upwards

Chapter One- It's Onward and Upwards

Molly missed Cole so much. It's only been two months, but to her, it felt forever. The couple video chatted two nights ago, a schedule they planned every Tuesday. It lasted for five minutes because he was in a rush to study. Since starting in different universities, they had been distant, Molly's not a clingy person, but she needed to see him physically. Missing his hypnotizing green eyes, soft black hair resembling a pillow, his soft heart-shaped lips.

And his body's just perfection: fit and lean since he's a soccer player. Hopefully, he'll love my surprise, she thought giddy zipping up her suitcase. Exams were over, Molly's packed and ready for the drive to Pennsylvania. Now all she had to do was convince her roommate/best friend Melanie to come along.

Right now she's asleep: her hair was rough, her mouth was slightly open, and she's drooling on her pillow. Molly shook her head, standing up from her knees. She stepped toward Melanie's bed and tapped her index finger on her forehead. She groaned and snorted, eyes not budging to open.

"Mel, the RA is here!" Molly shouted in Melanie's ear. Her brown eyes opened wide from her slumber, she snorted from her nose.

"Where?" Melanie sat up fast from the bed, fixing the knots in her hair with her brush. Molly stifled a laugh, holding her mouth with her palm. Mel had a crush on their RA. When he passed by their room, she sat up straighter and waved.

"What the hell is so funny?" Melanie turned to her giggling friend, she frowned.

"Oh my God, you should've seen your face!" Molly said in-between laughs. Melanie went to open the door, no one was there. Melanie threw her brush at Molly, she ducked quick.

"Ugh, don't do that to me," Melanie said groggily and climbed into bed again.

"No, no, it's spring break, let's do something fun," Molly spoke excitedly, attempting to pull the blanket off. Melanie held on to it tighter.

"Sleeping is fun. I just spent two months studying. My eyes have no moisture, I deserve this!" Melanie whined under the covers.

"Come on, you can sleep in the car."

She removed the blanket off her head, meeting Molly's green eyes. "Car?"

"Yeah, we're going to Penn State," Molly smiled widely, thrusting her fist in the air. Melanie had a blank stare across her face.

"No." Melanie turned around on the bed, facing the wall.

"It's not just for my benefit, it's for us. To get out of the room, fresh air, food, meet new people, especially boys," Molly wiggled her eyebrows, it piqued her attention but was still too lazy to go anywhere.

"Mmmm," Melanie mumbled and creased her face, still eyeing the wall. She was so tired. It was her fault for partying until 3 in the morning. She didn't want to go anywhere, especially to Penn State to see Cole.

"Just say it's for Cole, you miss him. Understandable," Melanie stated.

They've been together since sophomore year in high school, Melanie thought he would cheat because he had a reputation of being a player. It proved her wrong when he confessed the three words every girl wanted to hear. Melanie was happy and surprised they lasted this long. If Melanie didn't go, she would never hear the end. "Of course, I do, it's not the only reason. Come on. Pleaaaaaaaaaasssse?"

Melanie groaned loudly, getting out of bed slowly. Molly clapped like a seal yelling "yay!" Rolling her eyes, Melanie headed to the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face.

"We need to be on the road in twenty minutes,'' Molly informed her when she came back into the room.

"What about food?" Melanie questioned, changing from her pajamas into a white tank top and blue skinny jeans.

"I got that covered. How much do you have?"

"I think 150," Melanie guessed.

"I have 300, that should be enough for gas and food." Molly had enough in her savings account.

"Awesome." Melanie started packing her things in a beige over the shoulder knapsack, "does he know you're coming to visit him?"

"It's a surprise," Molly said with the biggest grin on her face.

"It could be better if you went alone. Spend some time with your boyfriend. I don't think you need me," Melanie said, putting on her purple hoodie and black flip-flops.

"You're good with directions so we won't get lost." Molly opened the door.

"I guess," Melanie shrugged. Melanie had a knack for directions, one of her favorite things was her compass she has kept since grade five. Both girls headed out of the dorm room and to Molly's jeep, bags in the trunk as they entered the car.

Molly clapped twice and wore her seatbelt. Melanie whooped weakly before they drove onto the road. "Onward and forward!"

"It's onward and upwards," Melanie corrected.

"Whatever."