Chapter 18: Carnival! Part 1

"Wow, that was close," Melanie praised.

"Yeah," Molly breathed out in response.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Melanie asked. Molly glanced at her as she started turning the dials on the radio.

"He has to be following us."

"Has to be. We saw him at the store," Melanie said. "We should cut somewhere to lose the trail." Molly agreed, nodding her head. Thirty minutes of driving and searching, she gave up as she slumped into her seat when they reached a stoplight.

Her head rested on the palm of her hand, I could be in my room, crying over chunky monkey and milk duds in the dorm until classes started up again."Ooooh Mol, Look!" Melanie pushed Molly's shoulder.

"Ow. What's wrong?" Molly asked while rubbing her shoulders, frowning.

"Carnival! Two miles!" She pointed at the windshield, Molly followed the direction of her index finger. It's a big yellow poster board with green and red letters: 10th annual Rhode Island Carnival! Fun, Food and lots of prizes! Come one, come all!

"Ok so there's a carnival," Molly shrugged like it wasn't a big deal.

"Yes! Don't you love carnivals? Rides, win some games prizes, volunteer in some booth games for cash. Do you not watch road trip movies?" Melanie shook her head while rolling her eyes.

"Yes I have seen road trip movies, Melanie. But, it's fiction. Who would let us volunteer in games?"

"Let's try." Melanie halted at a stop light.

Molly sighed, "I guess."

"Ok, tell you what: Let's go to this carnival, have fun, eat greasy food," Melanie poked Molly's stomach, she laughed. "Then if you're really sure about going home, we will."

"This is why you're my best friend," Molly said with a smile.

"Don't forget it," Melanie pointed at Molly. Reaching the turnpike, the sign 'Carnival ahead' was on the right and 'leaving Rhode Island' on the left, Molly bit her lip for which side to choose. With a quick steer of the wheel, Melanie turned right.