Chapter 27: I Still Need Time Part two

Melanie exhaled, searching for Molly. She was nowhere in sight. I thought she was behind me; she frowned. Melanie took a long sip, scoping out a place to lean on. She saw Molly chugging down hard lemonades like shots. She shook her head, walking to her. "Whoa! Mol, slow down!" Melanie laughed, trying to take the drink away.

"What?! I'm having fun! Like we're supposed to!" Molly pushed Melanie's shoulder.

"Yeah, not to get wasted! Come on!" She swiped the bottle out of her hand.

Molly yelled out, "boooooo! Fun police!" She rolled her eyes. She took another bottle from the table.

"Molly, what are you doing?!"

"Trying to forget!"

"What?!"

"Everything! Meeting Cole, Falling in love with him, surprising him! That bitch!" Her words were slurring together, she made a disgusted face, looking over Melanie's shoulder.

"The red head?!"

"No, Cole!" Molly tittered, holding her mouth and then she snorted like a pig. "You know, I had this whole schedule to spend our day and he ruined it! Ruined it!"

"Ok, I get it, but don't make any type of bad decisions while inebriated!" Melanie took the drink from her before she could take a sip.

"DOn't do that! This was your idea, you know?!"

"My idea!?" Melanie scoffed, "you wanted-"

"Yeaaaahh," Molly prolonged the word, "to have fun and meet boys. Like you always do!"

"Like I always do!? Are you serious?!"

"All you care about is boys, flirting and hooking up! Nothing else! So why don't you just leave my side like you always do?!" Molly swiped the bottle out her hand, walking away from the spot. Melanie was stunned that Molly thought that about her. Melanie let her have it, Molly's drunk, but there could be some truth. Melanie took a red solo cup full of liquid. She didn't care what it was, she just needed a drink.

As Melanie almost bumped into someone, she maneuvered to the left to avoid spilling her drink. Shaking her head, she rested it against the wall. The spot was quiet, the music bumps and were muffled. How can she say that? She dragged me here in the first place. Melanie crossed her arms over her breasts. Melanie wanted to have fun, which was true. Boys were a perk, she knew how to handle boundaries. Let her have her space, she needs it.

"Mel!" a voice called out, Matt was approaching her quickly. She rolled her eyes, taking another sip.

"Hey," he said with a grin. She drank from her cup again.

"We're ignoring each other?" He wondered.

"No, I don't feel like talking." She took a sip of her drink.

"But you came to have fun?"

"Yes, I did." She shook the cup in his face to clarify.

"Not with me?" He raised one of his eyebrows.

"Nah." As Melanie began to walk away.

He pulled her by the elbow, "stay. Let's talk."

"Talk about what?" Melanie attempted to gain her elbow back. "We broke up."

"And you stopped talking to me."

"Because we broke up." Plain and simple.

"That doesn't mean we can't be friends. You've been ignoring me since we saw each other."

"No I haven't." She frowned.

"Yes you have."

"You ended it. You broke up with me." Matt was left stunned, slack jawed. His head downward.

"I know, and I'm sorry for what I said." His tone sounded sincere, Melanie exhaled, shaking her head. This is the first time he's said this to me. It doesn't matter.

"Why do you want to be around me? You didn't trust me."

"I didn't trust the guys that were flirting with you," he answered.

"You still thought I was cheating. I would never do that. Ever." Molly wasn't the only one hurting from a breakup. He didn't cheat, she didn't cheat. There was no trust. It hurts when trust was gone. Melanie was all in. Matt was conflicted. It hurts. It was a mistake coming here.

Their eyes locked, her head feeling fuzzy whenever they made eye contact. His eyes, they're like a dream she didn't want to wake up from. Her breath was shallow, trying to move away from his touch. He lingered. His hand traced up to her neck. His thumb brushed her skin. "I know that now."

"What are you doing?" Melanie whispered, closing her eyes.

"What do you think?" His full lips brushed her chin. He kissed it lightly. "I missed you." His kisses trailed along her neck. Her collarbones. She's buzzed. No. Trying to shake him off. The feelings were there, that's not going to go away. She missed him. He was one of the few boys she had a long term relationship with. He messed up. Not her. He's still an ex.

"No," Melanie pushed him away. "No."

"What?" Melanie hit the back of her head on the wall.

"Matt, we're over. As much as I missed you too, I can't go backwards. I really liked you."

"Liked?" Matt repeated.

"Yeah. I came to meet new people. Sure I flirt, but I don't cross that line without consent."

"Right. You're right. I really liked you too. I just got mixed up. I'm stupid." He hit his forehead in a duh gesture.

"Yeah." Matt chuckled. Melanie stifled her laugh. It wasn't a lie, she did miss him. It's hard seeing him.

"No, Matt. Wait. Let's talk. For real." He nodded again. Melanie took his hand, he followed behind. It was needed.