Chapter 3

Adeline's POV:

Adeline's POV:

The school bell rings from where I sit in my English class. School's out for summer, and that means no more seeing any of the bullies in places where I can't escape them. It also means that I get to escape my house with Beverly all throughout the time. Except after 7pm. That was a rule in Derry at the moment, after the disappearances of many children throughout the town, the police department enforced the curfew.

"Don't forget your summer experience essays, don't think you can get away with not doing any work over the summer." The teacher tells us as we make our way towards the door. I exit the room and rush towards the bathrooms, where I'm meeting Beverly. I go in and knock on the first stall, where we usually sit.

"Lina?" Beverly's voice asks from inside.

"Yeah, it's me Bev." I reply, my still strong English accent coming through. She unlocks the stall and I enter. She smiles at me and brings out a cigarette. She lights it and starts smoking, she used to always offer me one, but I always refuse. If my father smelt it in my breath, I don't think I would live to see another day. We were talking about the plans over summer, when there was a heavy kick against the door to the stall.

"You in there by yourself, Beaver-ly, Slutty Farley? Or do you half the boys in there with you? Huh, sluts?" The annoying of Gretta comes from the other side of the door. Beverly looks to me in annoyance, stubbing out her cigarette against the wall, while Gretta carried on. "I know you're in there, you little shits, I can smell you. No wonder you two don't have any friends other than the lower standards you seem to find in each other."

"Which is it Gretta?" I ask.

"Are we sluts or little shits?" Bev continues.

"Make up your mind." I finish.

"You're both trash, we just wanted to remind you." Gretta replies. We look up to see a black binbag about to be emptied over the top of the stall on their heads. I rush and grab my umbrella from inside my backpack, and open in just in time for the rubbish to fall on it, rather than on us. "Such losers. At least you'll both smell better, now. Let's go girls. Have a good summer, sluts." With that we hear the laughter and footsteps fade away. Bev looks to me and rolls her eyes. I smile to her. She then opens the stall, and we manage to get out of the way of the rubbish on the floor and umbrella. I look at the umbrella and just throw it in the bin.

"Let's get out of here." I say to her. She smiles with a nod, and together we make our way to one of the exits of the school. As we come out the entrance, there is a kid with a bike and a school project. His name, Ben Hanscom. He was the new kid before me, however his title of 'the new kid' just stuck because mine was 'slut' instead. He stands there, headphones over his ears, looking out at the grass in front of him, his bike and body blocking the bottom of the stairwell.

"Are you going to let us by, or is there a password or something?" Bev says to him, his head snaps around.

"O-oh sorry." He stutters out. Trying to move out the way.