I get in my car and start it up, trying to get it warm before driving off onto the main road. I glance at the time and tap my fingers on the wheel as I sit at a stoplight. I can't help but wonder what Taryn is doing right now. Has she ordered dinner? If she did, what was it? Probably either a cheese pizza or orange chicken from a Chinese place she loves.

Stop thinking about her. You're going on a date with another woman, so try thinking about her.

  Claire. She's pretty. She has big brown eyes, and she's super sweet and quiet. Taryn's not like that, though. She's got more of a fire in her, that makes her witty and easygoing and...Taryn.

  Suddenly a car honking makes me jump, realizing I've spaced out and the light has turned green. I continue driving and rub my face with one hand. Get a grip, dude. You need to stop this.

  Before I know it, I've pulled up to the fish place I'm meeting Claire at. I park and look at the time, realizing I'm right on time. I kill the engine and get out before I talk myself out of it.

  I open the door and look in, noticing that Claire is already there, sitting in a booth across the restaurant. "Welcome, how many today?"

  I glance up at the hostess, who's clicking her acrylic nails on the counter with a seductive smile. That's cute.

  "My date's already here," I say, nodding in her direction. "Thanks though."

  I brush past her and make it to the table where Claire is sitting. I slide in across from her with a smile. "Hey," I say as she jerks her head up.

  "Oh! Hey," she says, tucking a strand of dark hair behind her ear. "How are you?"

  "I'm good," I tell her, locking my hands together. "And you?"

  Claire smiles. "I'm better now that I'm sure you haven't stood me up," she says. "I was a little nervous that you'd forget or just wouldn't show."

  "I would never do that," I say, shaking my head. "So has the waiter come by yet?"

  She nods. "Yeah, but I told him to to wait until you got here," she tells me. Just as she says this, a guy walks over.

  "My name is Chandler and I'll be your waiter tonight, can I start you off with something to drink?"

  "Coke please," I say with a smile, before looking over at Claire.

  "Water with lemon," she says, glancing down at the menu. I do the same, although I already know what I'm going to get.

  "I'll have those right out," he says, turning on his heel and walking away.

  "Have you ever been here?" she asks, biting her lip slightly. I can tell she's kind of nervous.

  "A couple times," I say, shrugging. "Have you?"

  "Nope," she says, still looking over the menu. "Any suggestions?"

  "The fried catfish is really good, but if you're not into that then the grilled fish is also pretty great," I say. "I'm going to get the fried catfish basket."