9

I watched the expressions on their face as they noticed me. I wanted to see if I was still welcome after all of this time. If I was allowed to witness this event. We all stayed silent, not really knowing what to do.

"Is. . . Is that the dog you mentioned?" Honey asked. He shattered the utter silence as he spoke. I gave a nod and a smile, patting Tenshi's head gently. "This is Tenshi. Tenshi, these are the people I told you about."

Tenshi stared at me long and hard before she looked back at the group. I seen Haruhi frown from her spot in the group. "Is she alright?"the girl questioned. What a great eye Haruhi always had. I chuckled, "she's alright. The vet said she would heal up almost completely within a month and a half. Though I wish she would have taken it more easy on the field."

Conversation boomed from there. I was asked several questions as they casually approached, many of which had classified answers and backed off with a pout when told so.

We all collectively stood up after a half an hour, walking out of the room for the last time. Tenshi was carried by Mori, even after the many times I told him that I could. I had a feeling he knew something was up with the way I walked, my leg wasn't doing the best after all of the walking.

As we arrived outside, someone pulled lightly at my white jacket. I turned my head and seen a familiar head of ginger. Kaoru.

"Do you mind if we talk in private for a little bit?" He asked as he avoided my gaze. I glanced at the others, gave them a nod to go ahead and turned to Kaoru. "Sure."

We walked away from the group, side by side, our steps in close unison. The two us stayed quiet as we walked, neither of us were able to bring ourselves to take a glance at the other.

"Could we sit for a bit?" I questioned softly when I noticed an upcoming bench. I seen him give a nod, not uttering a word. I sat down first, a pained, yet soft sigh left my lips as I gently rubbed my aching leg. "Are you alright?" I heard Kaoru ask beside me.

I let out a laugh, not really being able to help it. "Just a few more scars added to my collection, nothing bad." I sobered quickly at the awkward conversation that I felt was coming.

I let out another sigh, avoiding his gaze, "I don't deserve any forgi-" "I missed you," he blurted and I immediately tensed.

"You. . . I never gave up on you," he spoke softly. "There was never a news report about a dead Elite. I didn't give up because I never heard anything. I made sure to keep up with the news because I kept wondering if they'd say something. They never did though. But I still hoped that you'd come back. So I missed you. I hoped you would come back, and you did."

I looked down, full of guilt. "I didn't want to leave that night. I was suddenly called at midnight by a general. He said our country was forced into war and needed all hands he could find. If I had a choice, I would have stayed. But. . . I willingly went because I wanted to keep Japan safe, not just for the residents in Japan but also for you. I hoped this war wouldn't have lasted so long. Three years too long.

"I wondered every day if all of you would soon forget me, seeing that I was only serving you for a few months. I hoped that I didn't cause everyone pain, but. . . someone close had explained the outcomes of my departure. I never wanted to hurt you like I did. I want to apologize for soo much, but those two little words will have no effect." I watched his movement closely. His eyes widened and his hands twitched a fraction. "However now, I don't plan on ever leaving."

"What do you mean?" He whispered. "Won't they call you back?"

I shook my head, "no. I acquired several injuries during my last time of serving. One of the left me unable to run or walk long distances. I'm currently unable to be a part of the Elite and therefore I am now retired."

I swallowed as I stared at the ground. Only a few people knew why I was retired. I felt that Kaoru should know as well, he deserved at least that much.

I felt careful arm wrap around my shoulders. I stiffened slightly before I relaxed in the warmth. It's been soo long since I was given a hug.

"I'm sorry," came a shaky voice.

"Don't be," I replied. "Everything is fine now."

A laugh rolled out of my mouth as I sat in the home of the Hitachiin family. The twins decided to have a small personal party, inviting only the ex-hosts and myself. They didn't make me explain myself and seemed relieved when Kaoru came back smiling like a child in a candy store.

Tenshi let out a bark as she fooled around with Antoinette, Tamaki's beautiful golden retriever.

I sat beside Kaoru, who made it his life goal of sticking near me at almost any point. I assumed that it was because of my injuries. Though I didn't mind at all.

What surprised me, however, was that the twins now had a little sister, Ageha. She had a habit of rejecting presents and such from her brothers. It was a real treat watching the twins' faces as she chose to sit by me instead of them. Ageha had appeared to like Tenshi's curly fur. Whenever the poodle walked by, the girl would reach out a small hand and mess with the curls.

A small smile twitched on my lips and amusement danced in my eyes as I watched the group. I looked to Kaoru when arm wrapped around mine, my smile growing.

The little group now seemed full and complete. It made me wonder what other sorts of adventures we would take in the future.

To think that my life would turn out like this just because I was hired to protect.

fin.