One: Table Fourteen

"Oh, shit! I'm gonna be late!" I yelled at myself as I sprinted towards the red Camry.

Driving like a maniac, I switched from lane to lane to pass the cars that were driving at the speed limit of 55 mph. I exerted the weight of my foot on the gas pedal until the arrow on the speedometer passed 80 mph.

"Never mind I'll find someone like you—," I screamed at the top of my lungs to Adele's Someone Like You blasting through the car stereo. Within minutes of zooming through the highway, the blur of the concrete buildings soon disappeared and was replaced by the blossoming trees from the side of the road.

As I slowed the car down to 65 mph, the vibrant colors that spread throughout the withered greenery engulfed the surrounding highway. Spring had finally arrived. My favorite season.

5:38 pm

Fuck. I was late.

I was welcomed with a sight of impatient bodies idling by the entrance of Hana Asian Bistro. I ran towards the restaurant and excused myself through their chattering.

"I'm here! I'm so sorry! I got stuck in traffic," I pathetically excused my tardiness and went behind the hostess's station to assume my duties.

"Uh-huh," Ryan said. His eyebrows pulled together, wrinkling the skin on his forehead. "They just got here. Just assign them a table. We have a couple left open around the fireplace," he added with a sigh of relief before leaving me to do my job.

For someone who owned a restaurant, Ryan was not as sociable as he should be. He preferred to be behind the sushi bar or in the kitchen, away from the crowds. Thankfully, he co-owned this restaurant with Ken, the high-spirited one.

"If you would follow me, please. Right this way."

I used the same line to seat the customers until all the tables were occupied. I strode back and forth from the kitchen to the front of the restaurant, tending the famished souls in a prompt manner.

The night was young and lively. I should have anticipated it to be busy, being Friday eve in April. Also, there were only four waitresses to serve over twenty tables. Nina called off sick and they didn't have any replacement for her.

Almost three hours into the night and none of the workers had a chance to have a moment to breathe. The floor was lacking manpower and I tried to help as much as possible, but I was also swamped with the never ending orders over the phone.

"Can you give table fourteen their water, please?" Megan asked as she tapped on the computer screen.

I was preparing a take out order when I peeked out of the server's station and saw two men being seated by Ken. He had stepped up and assisted me with the duties in the front of the restaurant while I was preoccupied by the phone orders.

"Yeah, of course," I reassured her, grabbing the freshly washed and sanitized glass over the counter.

"These kids are getting on my nerves. They're too obnoxious and picky. And they never tip! This is ridiculous," Megan complained and continued to mumble inaudible comments to herself as she snapped off the printed tab from the machine.

She had dealt with the same group a few weeks ago. I felt bad for her. "Wait! Don't forget to include the gratuity in their bill!" I suggested, "just to be safe."

"Oh my god! You're a lifesaver! What would I do without you here tonight?" Megan smiled and printed a new receipt before delivering it to her favorite customers.

I carefully navigated around the fireplace while balancing the two glasses full of water on the serving tray for table fourteen.

"Good evening. Welcome to Hana. Your server will be with you momentarily." I robotically greeted the two men sitting at the table across from each other.