Chapter 4: New Adventure

She sees them walking in a straight line,
That's not really her style
And they all got the same heartbeat
But hers is falling behind
Nothing in this world could
Ever bring them down
Yeah, they're invincible, and she's just in the background

Cool kids, echosmith

There are no windows in my suite. But I know the sky is still black. It's only 4am after all. Looking in the mirror I finish straightening my hair before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. 'You've got this. It's not going to be awkward, just breath'

I go to my nightstand and pick up my phone. I straighten out my pencil skirt and toss my phone into my little green and black handbag. I open my door and step into the hallway
Trying to be quiet and mindful of my neighbor. I make my way down to the elevator and press the up button.

Once inside the elevator a voice kicks on.

"Good morning miss Helena. Miss Potts is waiting for you in the cafeteria this morning. I'll take you to her now." I look around for the source of the voice. There is a small speaker towards the very top next to a small camera

"Oh, thank you." I nod my head towards the camera and smile. The elevator shoots up smoothly and quickly. I glance down at my watch checking the time. 4:09am. I'm supposed to be at Peppers desk at 4:30, was she really already expecting me? Is my watch slow?

The elevator dings and the door opens revealing a rather large restaurant style cafeteria. I quickly walk out and start scanning the room. Shocked by how many people ate already sitting around the tables. Pepper spots me immediately and smiles waving towards her table. I quickly make my way over to her and stand awkwardly.

"What would you like to eat? It's best to start your day full because Tony normally has us all running around so crazy I usually skip lunch." Pepper says motioning for the waiter to come over. I glance at what Pepper has on her plate.

"lll just have a bagel please." I say to the waiter who nods and scurries off quickly.

"You sure you don't want more?" Pepper picks up a tumbler with the Stark Emblem on the side. "Here I already got you a coffee." I smile at my older sister and grab the cup.

"Thank you. But shouldn't I be getting your coffee?" Pepper literally laughs out loud.

"Oh sweetie no, your not going to be fetching coffees for people. You'll be helping with the avengers. Anything and everything they need you to do. You'll be monitoring the mission files and making sure everyone is where they need to be. " the waiter returns with my bagel and a container of cream cheese.

"Thank you!" I reach into my purse to grab money and Pepper shakes her head at me.

"No sweetie Tony pays for all employees meals." The waiter bows a bit and walks away towards another person.

"Oh okay, and are you sure? I don't mind grabbing coffees and such. I don't know if I'm the right person to be helping with all that important stuff. It seems like something someone could easily mess up." I say before taking a big bite of my bagel. Pepper checks her watch and stands up.

"Can you eat and talk?" She asks looking back at me. I nod my head quickly and grab my things. "Okay great, so first thing we'll do is I'll show you around. The upper floors is where you'll be working mostly. Then of coarse this floor is the cafeteria. The one above this is a big meeting area and then the penthouse is Tony's." We quickly walk over to the elevator, and I take another big bite of my bagel. As soon as we're inside the elevator I finish my bagel and reach into my purse and grab out a small notebook.