24. [monster within]

━━━━━━━━━━

MONSTER WITHIN.

━━━━━━━━━━

      NUMBNESS SPREAD across Hazel's skin as she slowly began to stand

      NUMBNESS SPREAD across Hazel's skin as she slowly began to stand. She exited the tent, blinking rapidly while the light of day prickled against her eyes. 

    And there he was, silhouetted against the sun. A pack slung over his shoulders and an axe wedged comfortably into his dirty fist.  "Ready to go Hudson?"

   There was traces of a grin smacked across Bellamy Blake's mouth as he asked the question. Maybe it was because he'd used that very same phrase at least a hundred times back on the Ark, before all of this. He'd show up at Hazel's door, eager to see the infamous thief and let her distract him from the rest of his poisonous life.

   "Go where?"

   The former thief seemed nervous. Fidgety. Which was eerily contrary to her usual strong-willed facade. 

   "The depot. Clarke told me you got the coordinates."

   "Right. Shouldn't we bring a couple others with us?"

   "Why?" he eyed her sideways, "what are you afraid will happen?"

   Hazel could feel her stomach twisting itself into knots. She shrugged, trying to breath normally. Trying to forget Shumway's threat. Trying to ignore the rare smile tugging on the corners of Bellamy's lips.

   "I don't know."

  "Let's go, just the two of us. Me and you. We need people to stay here, that wall isn't going to build itself. Besides, it'll be like old times." He turned to leave.

   Hazel clenched and unclenched her fists, fully aware of how sweaty they were. She jogged after him. "Did you grab rations?"

  "He grabbed more than enough," Clarke chimed in, her sheer exhaustion masking the judgemental tone she had. "You know it's just a day trip. You should be back before dark if you're fast enough."

   "A lot can happen in a day," Bellamy countered. "Let's go, Hazel."

_  

  Neither of them knew what to say. 

  Hazel was trudging beside the former guard at an uneven pace. The nasty wound she'd received from their spout with the Grounders was healing decently well, but the pain still caused a slight limp.

  She glanced up at him. Ever since they'd left camp, a frown had taken the place of the slight, rare smile that he'd worn earlier. He was walking determinedly, his muscles tense and rigid as if he was resisting the temptation to turn and run back in the direction he'd come from.