8. [not alone]

━━━━━━━━━━

NOT ALONE.

━━━━━━━━━━

   THE LIGHT NOISE of morning birds chirping tugged Hazel out of her sleep just as the sun poked through the sky

  THE LIGHT NOISE of morning birds chirping tugged Hazel out of her sleep just as the sun poked through the sky. She sat up instantly, the grass that surrounded her prickling gently against her face. While rubbing her eyes, Hazel took in her surroundings, quickly noticing that everyone else was already awake.

"Morning, sleeping beauty."

Jasper raised an eyebrow at her from where he sat a few feet away. Immediately he was elbowed in the stomach by Monty, who shook his head in pure disgust.

"That was awful. Never say that again, to anyone."

Hazel merely laughed as she stood up, and swung her pack over her shoulder. The two Agro Station boys were the only other delinquents in sight. She made her way over to them as they also got onto their feet.

"So, where are the others? Please tell me Finn was eaten by the sea-snake."

"Sorry to disappoint, but they're all alive," Monty informed her, "they're down by the water, trying to figure out how we can get across without being eaten alive."

"Well, I guess we should go then."

As they headed out, Hazel instinctively stuck her hands into her jacket pocket, hiding her wristbandless wrist. She didn't regret her impulsive decision. After confirming what had happened to her brother, the last thing she wanted was for the Ark, and its corrupt society, to survive. Yet at the same time there was a raw guilt gnawing quietly at her gut. The people down here with her had family up there, and taking off her wristband placed their loved ones just that much closer to death by suffocation.

She shook her head, annoyed by her own thoughts.

They killed your brother, you owe them nothing.

"Well, look who finally showed up," Finn smirked as the teens arrived at the riverbank. He was standing on top of a steep incline, holding tightly onto a rope weaved out of a large number of thick vines.

Hazel scrambled up beside him, gazing over the dirty water below them. She grimaced at the sight, picturing what other sorts of mutant creatures could be lurking below the surface.

"So, your plan is to swing across?" she reached out and tugged on the makeshift rope, wincing as the tree it was attached to creaked dangerously.

Finn nodded, "what'd you want me to do? Build a bridge over night?"

"I would've gone with a boat, but a bridge is okay too I guess."

"You're the mechanic, you build the boat."

"They didn't teach us how to build boats in space, that skill would be kind of irrelevant up there," Hazel quipped.

"Hey," Jasper clambered up beside them, interrupting their petty bickering, and nodding at the tangled vines, "just hang onto the apogee Finn, and you'll be fine."