20. [stained darkness]

━━━━━━━━━━

STAINED DARKNESS

━━━━━━━━━━

   HAZEL STARED INTENTLY at the soggy, drowned metal that rested in Raven's outstretched hands

HAZEL STARED INTENTLY at the soggy, drowned metal that rested in Raven's outstretched hands. Almost every delinquent had been recruited to search the river for the missing piece of tech, and nearly two hours had passed before it had finally been located.

"Can you fix it?"

Clarke dared to fire the question nobody else was willing to ask. Hazel sighed, shaking her head in defeat.

"Even if we could get to work, we don't have enough time...before the culling."

"She's right, it'll take half the day just to dry out the components to see for sure what's broken," Raven added.

"Like I said, it's too late," Bellamy decided to inform them all.

   Hazel watched as he tried so desperately to keep up his cocky, confident act. His arms were crossed tightly across his chest, in what looked like defiance, but was actually a pathetic attempt to keep his guilty heart from pounding out of his chest. Hazel could tell he was crumbling on the inside, torn apart by the fact that his actions would mostly likely cause the death of many of their people.

"Do you have any idea what you did? Do you even care?" Clarke snapped.

Bellamy swallowed nervously, his eyes twitching and landing on Hazel before he spoke.

  He did care. A lot.

"You asked me to help. And I helped."

"300 people are going to die today Bellamy!"

   "Wait!" Raven stepped up in between the two leaders, "we don't have to talk to the Ark. We just have to let them know we're down here, right?"

   The exasperated group stared at her in confusion for a moment, until Hazel broke the silence.

  "You're right. And, we have tons of rocket fuel back at camp..."

   "What are you getting at?" Clarke demanded.

   "A signal."

  The mechanics' voices answered in unison. Hazel's lips twisted upwards in confidence as she ran the idea back and forth through her mind.

   "Do you think it'll work?" Finn inquired. He gripped Raven's arm tightly, peering into her glistening eyes.

   "It has to."

    Hazel took a step backwards, releasing a tired sigh and swiping her sleeve over her grease stained forehead.