27. [lighting fires]

━━━━━━━━━━

LIGHTING FIRES.

━━━━━━━━━━

  HAZEL STUMBLED BACKWARDS, completely caught off guard by the quick, unexpected kiss

  "I'm sorry I - " Bellamy started.

  "Don't apologize," Hazel cut him off. "You really don't need to."

   Bellamy smiled, his shoulders somewhat relaxing. "Good to know."

   Everything going on around them seemed to pause once again as the the air grew thicker, and Hazel's heart began to pound even more violently.

   "Well...we should probably, you know, go make sure Clarke, Finn and Octavia don't die."

   "Yeah," Bellamy swallowed, nodding his head sharply, trying to pull himself back into reality, "so you said, the Grounders want blood in return for the blood we cost them when we set off the flares?"

   "Exactly," Hazel answered while they trudged through the woods, their pace quickening with each step, "they want blood for blood before they're willing to offer peace."

   "So basically, if Clarke goes to them, and tries to reason for peace, they'll agree, but only if one of us agrees to die first?" Bellamy huffed.

   "I mean I'm no Grounder expert, but that's the gist I got, yeah."

   "Well if that's the only way we can side with the Grounders, it's not worth it. We have to stop them before they - "

   "Be quiet!" Raven hissed from a few feet away, crouched beside Jasper in the thick bushes. "Whatever you're gonna stop them from doing, it's probably too late. The Grounders are here already."

   Bellamy and Hazel dashed forwards, and quickly ducked behind the brush. There was a deep ravine in front of them, a green chasm connected by a large, concrete bridge. Hazel could see Clarke, Finn, and Octavia gathered on the end of the overpass nearest them.

   On the other end of the bridge, Hazel could see the Grounders facing the small band of delinquents. One Grounder in particular seemed to be leading the others. She urged her horse forwards, her somewhat sunken eyes still piercing brightly through her dark makeup. As soon a she began to move towards the delinquents, Clarke too began to walk forwards.

   Hazel could feel her pulse in her ears, every breathe she sucked in felt shaky and uncontrolled. She watched Clarke advance, noting the slight wavering in each of the Princess's steps.

   "If any of the Grounders tries to hurt one of our people, do not hesitate to shoot," Bellamy commanded under his breath.

   "But, don't do anything stupid. If we mess this up,  we're gonna be even more screwed than we already are now," Hazel whispered. "Do not shoot unless absolutely necessary."