21. [sister's keeper]

━━━━━━━━━━

SISTER'S KEEPER.

━━━━━━━━━━

 "THEY DIDN'T WORK

"THEY DIDN'T WORK."

   Raven's solemn statement clung to the air as Hazel crawled out of her tent. She was met by a crowd of delinquents, each of their chins craned upwards as they stared in sad horror at the sky.

   Hazel followed their gaze. The dark heavens were crying. Dazzling white tears slid eerily across the black canvas, shimmering bravely until they fizzled out.

   "What?" Bellamy demanded.

   "The flares, they didn't work," Raven's eyes tore away from the stars, resting angrily on the former guard.

   "And a meteor shower tells you that?" Bellamy asked, tilting his head doubtfully to the side.

   "It's not a meteor shower," this time it was Clarke who responded. "It's a funeral."

   Hazel swallowed down the lump in her throat, forcing herself to turn away from the spectacular sight. She clutched her chest as a dangerous thought began to take over every bit of space in her mind. The Ark had reduced the population to save oxygen. It had actually happened.

   Is one of those falling stars my brother?

   Just then, Raven lost it. She shoved past delinquents in a frenzied rage towards Bellamy. Her small fists beat mercilessly against him, but barely made an impact on the former guard's chest.

    "This is all because of you!" Raven screamed.

   "I tried to help find the radio," Bellamy protested weakly.

   "Yeah! After you jacked it and trashed my pod!"

   "Raven. He knows. And now he has to live with it," Clarke reminded her. Her words caused Raven to slump, her hands falling to her sides as she shook her head in disgust.

    "All I know is that my sister is out there, and I'm gonna find her," the veins in Bellamy's neck were pulsing as he stepped past the defeated mechanic. "Everybody, gather around and grab a weapon. Octavia's been out there alone for twelve hours. Arm up. We're not coming back without her. Collins, we need a tracker. You're the best we have."

   "I'll come," Finn nodded, releasing his grip on Raven's shoulders, "we've lost enough tonight."

   Hazel made her way over to the pile of weapons, shaking her head in disappointment. The makeshift spears that littered the grass weren't going to help them against whatever they would inevitably face out there.

   "You're going with them?" Clarke hissed. "We need you here. We have to talk to the Ark. Three hundred people won't be enough. The oxygen level will just keep dropping. And if we don't tell them that they can survive down here, they'll kill more people. They have to."