23. [her reason]

━━━━━━━━━━

HER REASON.

━━━━━━━━━━

   "THIS IS AS FAR AS I WILL TAKE YOU

   "THIS IS AS FAR AS I WILL TAKE YOU."

   The horse carrying Hazel began to slow to a stop. The delinquent loosened her grip on the beast's mane, untangling her fingers and keeping her eyes sharp on the forest ahead.

   Her surroundings were definitely familiar, and she estimated that they were at least two miles away from the drop-ship. The Grounder behind her swung himself effortlessly off of his steed, then reached towards Hazel, offering the delinquent a hand down. She grabbed on tightly, trying not to wince as her injured leg brushed up against the back of the horse.

  "Thank you."

   No response.

   Hazel watched with unashamed curiosity as the big man climbed back up onto his horse. He nodded slightly, before digging his heels into the beast's side and turning it back in the direction from which they had come. The girl continued to stare as he rode off.

   So much was running through her mind. This man, and all his people, the only life they knew was here...on the Ground. Hazel herself could remember spending countless hours staring at Earth from the windows of the Ark, while assuming that was unpopulated. A lonely, lifeless planet filled with ghosts and stories of a vibrant, yet tumultuous, past.

   But she had been wrong, so terribly and blatantly wrong. There were humans here; survivors. People who had beaten the odds with their grimy fists held up above their heads, people who had risen from the ashes. Each of them strong and weathered, more than ready to fight for their home. After all, they'd done it before, so they could do it again. They'd survived the end of the world...of course they could survive the people from the Sky.

   Hazel watched as the Grounder disappeared into the trees. She quickly began to formulate what she would say when she arrived back at camp. How much to reveal and how much to keep secret. Who to tell, and what to tell them. Her brother was alive, and...he was a Grounder. Not only that, he was one of their highest-ranking leaders, a powerful person with great authority. 

  She took a hesitant step towards home, less focused on her surroundings and more focused on the battle going on inside her mind. There was so much to consider...her brother, the Ark, the delinquents, her friends, a potential war brewing around her.

   "I want to do more than just upset the Council, you know? I want to make a statement. I'm sure the Council is hiding information from the public, they're lying, they're forcing people to live in terrible conditions...people are dying - "

   "Hazel, " Finn had interrupted his enraged fellow thief. His heart was still pounding wildly, the adrenaline of their latest assignment still thundering through his veins. The partners in crime had wedged themselves into a small storage closet in Tesla Station, in order to lay low after snatching small samples of medicinal drugs for Nygel's thriving black market.