22. [my people]

━━━━━━━━━━

MY PEOPLE.

━━━━━━━━━━

   EARSPLITTING THUNDER shoved Hazel out of her tormented sleep

EARSPLITTING THUNDER shoved Hazel out of her tormented sleep. This time, when her eyes flew open, she could see. There was somebody hovering over her, breathing heavily as they continued untying the rest of her restraints.

Outside, angry shouting tunnelled its way in and out of the loud storm.

"Jus drein, jus daun!"

The unfamiliar words were chanted over and over.

"What's going on?" Hazel demanded.

"They want to kill you. Your people caused fires that burnt down villages and killed many people. They believe you deserve to die."

Hazel watched, dumbfounded as her captor grabbed onto a chair from the other side of the small tent, dragged it across the floor and took a seat inches away from her.

He leaned forwards, quietly trying to read her expression.

"Do you believe you deserve to die?"

Hazel glared at the young man, purposefully ignoring his question. "Tell me where I am."

"You are in a tent, in Tondc, a settlement created by survivors of the nuclear apocalypse," he explained, his tone completely dry.

"Why am I here?"

"One of my soldiers found you in the forest, wounded, and brought you here to be healed."

"Yeah, wounded by one of your soldier's weapons," Hazel held her forehead in her hands, trying to suppress her frustration before she continued, "if they want me dead, why aren't you letting them kill me?"

"Because," there was a heavy pause as the leader carefully chose the right words to speak, "I need you."

"For what? Information?"

The young man laughed, shaking his head. "I've already got that, thanks to your friend...what's his name...Murphy. I swear, you break a couple of his fingers, and suddenly he won't shut up."

Hazel swallowed nervously, "what do you know then?"

"Everything."

His eyes glittered in triumph, and his cocky smile was taunting enough for Hazel to want to reach out and smack him hard. She refrained though, knowing she was still weak from her injury, and wouldn't stand a chance. Though he had to be around her age, he was taller than her, and likely much stronger.

"Okay," she let out a deep breath, "so then why don't you kill me? Or let me go. Clearly, you don't need me."

"Nothing's ever that simple, Hazel."