16. [the calm]

━━━━━━━━━━

THE CALM

━━━━━━━━━━

   HAZEL'S EYELIDS FLUTTERED violently as she twisted against the cold floor of the drop-ship

   HAZEL'S EYELIDS FLUTTERED violently as she twisted against the cold floor of the drop-ship. She was trapped in a nightmare, her unconscious replaying Atom's scalded body over and over in her mind.

   She sat up with a start, beads of sweat glistening on her forehead as she struggled to fully escape from the awful dream. Despite being awake, the gut wrenching feeling of sadness and horror still bubbled in Hazel's stomach.

      Atom was gone.

     What if we could've done more to save him?

   Hazel tried hard to focus on falling back asleep. She had barely gotten the chance to rest since she'd arrived on Earth. But as she closed her eyes and began to succumb to the inky blackness, her doubts grew louder and louder.

   How come Jasper was worth saving, and Atom wasn't?

   Why does Clarke think she can just make that call?

   She was wringing her hands now, a nervous sweat mixing between her fingers. 

   Who does Clarke think she is...the Chancellor?

   Why the hell didn't I try to stop her?

  Hazel groaned as she shook her head, realizing that trying to sleep while her mind was on fire was a useless task to undertake.

   "Hey, you okay?"

  She looked up to see Finn climbing down the ladder.

  "I'm fine. How's Jasper?"

   When he reached where Hazel was crumpled against the wall, he slumped down beside her. She noticed his mouth was decorated with a weary smile.

  "He just woke up," Finn said. "The seaweed stuff worked, Clarke said he's going to live. We did it."

   Hazel could feel her heartbeat quicken while her chest swelled with pride, and a sense of relief spread through her veins.

   "I'm glad. I'm glad that we could save someone," she sighed.

   "Hey, what's done is done. Don't let what happened to Atom get to you, okay?"