3. [we're back]

━━━━━━━━━━

WE'RE BACK.

━━━━━━━━━━

    A DEEP ACHE settled in Hazel's bones as she slipped back into the conscious world

  A DEEP ACHE settled in Hazel's bones as she slipped back into the conscious world. Quickly she realized that she was still inside the stomach of the drop-ship, which was swarming with anxious teenagers. They were all scrambling out of their seats and pushing towards the door, waiting to get out, desperate to be free.

Hazel instantly began to untangle herself from her seatbelt, then stumbled onto the ground below. Her head was buzzing mercilessly, and the incessant shouting coming from the rowdy delinquents wasn't any help. All she wanted was to get out.

"Hey, just back it up guys!"

After craning her neck awkwardly she spotted Bellamy standing near the door, being swallowed by a sea of former prisoners. They pushed against him in waves, but calmed a bit at the sound of his demanding voice.

"Stop! Don't open the door!"

The sudden shout came from up above their heads, and Hazel watched as a golden haired teen dropped down from the ladder and onto the steel floor. This girl had a powerful aura around her that silenced the entire ship. Her words were laced in panic as she informed them, "the air could be toxic."

At first nobody dared to move, except Hazel. She let out an enamoured sigh, and grasped onto an oxidized rung of the ladder to gain some height. "So what do you suggest? We stay in the drop-ship another hundred years?"

The delinquents began to twitch, tormented between the two options. Hazel watched, waiting impatiently for their response. Die of radiation poisoning, or suffocation? Was one option really better than the other? Her eyes met with Bellamy, who stood with his arm resting casually over the lever that would decide wether or not the door would open. He nodded, shifting the shimmer that his dark eyes held, "she has a point, we really don't have any other option. If the air's toxic, we're all dead anyways."

"They're right! Open the damn doors!"

Hazel produced a half smile, observing proudly as the throng's grimy fists began pumping wildly through the air.

"Hazel?"

She felt a sharp tug at her jacket, and looked down to see Finn staring up in bewilderment at her. In that moment everything else seemed to melt away as she scrambled down the ladder and threw her arms around the Spacewalker. He side-stepped briefly under her weight, but steadied himself and hugged her back. After a few happy seconds Finn pushed her back, and squinted at her in confusion.

"You, you didn't. Hazel, why are you here?"

The young rebel shrugged uncomfortably, "the Ark can't float me on the Ground."