4. [deadly flare]

━━━━━━━━━━

DEADLY FLARE.

━━━━━━━━━━

 Tuesday, September 30th

Tuesday, September 30th. 1 Year Ago. The Ark.

THE EXCITED DRUMMING in Hazel's chest intensified as she crouched down to pull at a file-folder drawer, cursing under her breath when it decided to remain shut. She tugged harder, and fell backwards when it popped open. Quickly she regained her balance and began rummaging through its cluttered contents.

"Did you find it yet?"

Finn stood near the door of the biology classroom they'd broken into, acting as her look-out. He was resting against the frame, probably a little more relaxed than he should've been. The dynamic duo had never been caught before, so he didn't sense the need to be overly anxious.

"Nope," Hazel was peering at a jar of cranberry coloured liquid, "just a bunch of formaldehyde. I'm guessing they were doing some dissections in here or something. Damn it."

"Let's go then, there's going to be another class in here in like twenty minutes. I'd rather not be arrested if that's cool with you."

Hazel stood up and tapped the drawer shut with the heel of her boot, before rolling her eyes dramatically, "I can see right through you Collins, you're in a hurry because Raven just got back from her Zero-G bootcamp training...just go."

A deep pink flush surfaced on Finn's cheeks as he crossed his arms defensively, "It's not my fault I have a hot girlfriend. But yeah, let's go."

"No, you go, I'm going to stay back to keep looking," Hazel sighed, "there's a customer willing to trade twenty ration cards for a pack of microscope slides, Nygel will slit my throat if I don't find them."

"Hazel-Nut, two can play this game," Finn trudged over to where his friend was flipping aimlessly through an old biology textbook, as if she actually expected it to produce microscope slides, "you're mad because Raven got asked to the bootcamp thing and you didn't."

The thief snapped the book shut and inhaled a sharp breath, knowing she had been caught. "I just, I don't understand, neither of us have even taken the test yet, it's not for a few months and they've already chosen her over me?"

"Hazel, the bootcamp was in Alpha Station."

"Oh."

Finn pressed his lips together in a line, watching as his friend's demeanour slumped. He studied her expression before muttering, "Hazel. Are you ever going to tell me why you can't get into Alpha Station?"

She swallowed down a thick sob, and shook her head slowly, "No. I can't."

"Fine," he shrugged, annoyed that she couldn't bring herself to trust him, "I'll just leave you to it, then. Good luck with the microscope slides."